oil level sensor?

My camry 2.2 from 1998 indicates a low engine-oil level noe and then. However the oil level is ok. So I assume a loose contact or defect oil level sensor. But I don't know where to find it! anyone who knows?

Jan

Reply to
jan siepelstad

There is no oil level sensor on your engine. The oil light on the dashboard indicates low oil pressure. How often, how long, and during what conditions does the light come on?

Reply to
qslim

I might be possible if your car is sludged up to get alot of oil in the head if your return passages are clogged, It happened to me on and old chevy 350 where the previous owner did not change the oil, the light came on, I removed the valve cover and scooped out alot of crap and ran a coat hanger wire to open the returns, Run the motor fast for a few minuts then check the oil quickly and see if its real low

Reply to
ransley

I have two lights for oil: one is red; this one is for oil pressure the second is orange (with a kind of wave below the oilcan) and according to the manual it's for oil level. So there should be some kind of sensor right?

Reply to
jan siepelstad

thanx for your tip, but my engine is very clean. There is no sludge whatsoever. I drove about 420000 km on propane and almost all long distances, so the motor is heated up very well.

Reply to
jan siepelstad

Huh. Where are you posting from?

Reply to
qslim

I'm posting from Holland. Why?

Reply to
jan siepelstad

Replace the sensor, a LP motor wont sludge unless you drive only 5 miles a day at -20f

Reply to
ransley

Because that oil level sensor must be unique to the European models. I've worked on Toyotas for close to ten years here in the states, and have never seen an oil level sensor. I was just curious. Wish I could help you out, but I have no idea where that sucker is, though I would imagine it must be somewhere on the oil pan.

Reply to
qslim

This is interesting: It's from an MR2 Rebuild site:

The oil level sensor is located on the front of the oil pan. I'd spent some time removing the old sealant that coated the sensor. Probably a fruitless effort, as every sensor I've seen seems to have gasket sealant liberally applied to stop oil leaks. The Toyota design relies upon an o-ring to seal the hole:

Come to think of it, I think an old, old Toyota I had did have an oil level indicator!

And while searxching I found this: Beautiful!

Oh, and this! ;)

AND:

Hachiroku