Older Starions

I have an older Starion with a bad problem. Can anyone help me find someone in Houston area who is good at diagnosing them?

If I had to guess the problem I'd say that it was the throttle position sensor, because it just boggs down when you accellerate. If you ease into it very gently it will not act up quit so bad.

Going to a dealership does not seem to be the answer as the car is a

1983, one of the first imported into the US, and is older than most of their technicians.

Please help if possible as I want to restore the car and drive it daily. But I left it garaged for several years and while setting up this happened. All hoses, belts, plugs, etc have been changed and it is ready for the road except for this problem.

Reply to
Bert

I have an older Starion with a bad problem. Can anyone help me find someone in Houston area who is good at diagnosing them?

If I had to guess the problem I'd say that it was the throttle position sensor, because it just boggs down when you accellerate. If you ease into it very gently it will not act up quit so bad.

Going to a dealership does not seem to be the answer as the car is a

1983, one of the first imported into the US, and is older than most of their technicians.

Please help if possible as I want to restore the car and drive it daily. But I left it garaged for several years and while setting up this happened. All hoses, belts, plugs, etc have been changed and it is ready for the road except for this problem.

Reply to
Bert

Since it was stored for quite some time, I'd suspect that you have a fuel starvation problem. Old gas starts to create a gummy substance. Check you fuel pump, replace the fuel filter, and if its injected (don't recall if the

83 is injected or not) soak them in injector cleaner. If its a carb, strip and clean it, esspecially the pump jet area.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Go to

and post your question in the Virtual Mechanic section. There are many knowledgeable people there that are willing to help keep these cars on the road.

One of the most common problems is the injector clip connections. The normal solution is to replace them. Local autoparts stores usually carry them. They are the Bosch connectors. Autozone used to have them on the shelf, but I haven't seen them for awhile.

You could try cleaning and lightly sanding the connectors, but that usually only lasts for a short time.

I'd also do a tune up replacing plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Another good site is

but Starquestclub has more members.

Good luck,

Reply to