Start /stall

Hey, what happened to my post and Stewart DIBBS answer. All I got was a message saying "Message no longer available"????

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

I still have it on the news server I log into. Here's his reply.

Hard starts on cold ambient often occurs when the coolant temp sensor is either not connected or the coolant is low. The ECU tries to compensate and fails miserably. Make sure that you don't have an air lock in the coolant, and that the temp sensor connections are good.

Brown oil? Probably normal as the crud in the engine mixes with the new oil. However ... is there an oil gallery immadiately adjacent to the water pump gasket?

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Richie Rich

Thanks Richie for the repost.

Tried the car yesterday, it started fine, tried today, one failed start, then it started, maybe it is the weather. I don't drive this car, it's my sons car. I just drive it when I repair it. Oil gallery near the water pump, oh don't say that. I used plenty of gasket seal compond on the water pump gasket (didn't think I'd have to visit this component again) and I tried to see the gasket from all angles before the final tightening of the bolts. Checked the oil filler cap on top of the valve cover, and there is just the slightest hint of an off white material. Now I've seen this before (on my old straight 6 Gremlin) and all it was, was moisture from the air being sucked into the valve cover (by design). Saw it before that on my Sunbeam, just before the bearings went at 49,000 miles. But considering this car has 260,000 Km, I'm thinking (well maybe hoping) it's the head gasket. Can anyone check, or does anyone know, if there is a oil gallery next to the water pump. I didn't think so, but I could be wrong. Any comments?? Thanks

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

Do a compression test and a leak down test on each cylinder. If there's a gasket problem, it will probably show up. And gasket problems will get worse.

When it runs, does the temp run higher then it used to? Does the engine seem to be running soemwhat better than it used to? Both are symptoms of a coolant leak.

How about a new roughness in the engine? This happens only when coolant is leaking into cylinder.

Inspect the plugs for a marked difference in colour. Normal for an old engine is dark brown to black (oil burning). If its burning coolant, the plug will likely be a lighter colour.

When the engine is hot, drip a bit of oil from the dip stick onto the exhaust manifold. If its just oil, it will smoke. Depending on the water content, it will bubble.

Finally, now that the new oil has had time to circulate, drain it out and refill, then see how long it takes for the colour to change.

All the above is easier and cheaper than pulling the head off, though at

260,000, it probably time for a head refurbish anyway.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Thanks for the info, I'll go check it out now.

Reply to
Nirodac Yar