Start/Stall

OK, could be my fault, but I doubt it. Here's a chance for all the engine expects to give me a little advice.

Just changed the timing belts\tensioners\water pump\oil\antifreeze, on this

91 1.8L Laser. After the change, the car started in one or two revs, on the first try, and idled normally (although low, when warm). Tried to adjust the idle RPM (was running about 680-690 RPM), by following the SM. The idle position sensor is at exactly 0.508 volts, and is stable. It increases as the throttle is opened. I also can't seem to increase the idle RPM, the ECU still keeps it down a about 690

About a week later I went out to start the car (approx 4 degrees C) and it stalled right after I released the key from the start position (back to the run position). Tried again, same thing. Third time lucky the car continued to run, but very roughly, then cleared up in about 5-10 seconds and ran normally at slightly higher RPM (while cold, it dropped down when the engine warmed up). After the engine was warm, the start issue wasn't and issue, it didn't do it again.

Next day, cold engine, same thing, two no "runs", then it started. Once warm all is OK. Third day, same thing.

Perhaps another symptom. When I changed the oil it was black. The new oil now, looks like light chocolate. Is there perhaps a cooling system leak here. I've only driven the car around the block, to test it after the belt change. I start it every few days just to keep the oil circulating.

So what has changed??

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

Hard starts on cold ambient often occurs when the coolant temp sensor is either not connected or the coolant is low. The ECU tries to compensate and fails miserably. Make sure that you don't have an air lock in the coolant, and that the temp sensor connections are good.

Brown oil? Probably normal as the crud in the engine mixes with the new oil. However ... is there an oil gallery immadiately adjacent to the water pump gasket?

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS