Tire pressure

I have a Mitsu Outlander 2003 and when I received it I decided to check wht is the tire pressure recommended by the manufacturer. I found a sticker on my door saying Front - 2.0 kg and Rear 2.0 kg on sq.cm. Took a gauge and measured the pressure and it was 2.9 on everyone of the four wheels. Then decided to bring it down to 2.0 kg/sq.sm and they looked almost flat! Then I pumped them all to 2.9 kg/sq.sm as they were before. Since then, I have this doubt if I was right or the manufacturer? Please, help if somebody know something about. Thanks,

Eugene

Reply to
Eugeni

I had to convert your metric units to lb/sq inch, to get an idea of how "hard" your figures were....dumb American mechanic...

2.0 converts to 28 psi, a figure which is common on many cars I service. There may be a slight bulge on the bottom of the tire, but unless the car is filled with lead, it'll look ok. 2.9 converts to 41 psi, which is VERY hard ~ many USA tires still are limited to 32 psi max cold.

I'd suggest you stop by a repair shop with your gauge, and ask them to compare its readings to one of their known accurate gauges ~ it's quite possibly WAY off. I check my portable gauges frequently against the dial gauge on my tire machine, and replace them about every year as a result.

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

My Outlander came withe 36-37psi in all 4. It is just a tad hard but it will tickle 28mpg on an interstate trip so a tad hard is good with me!

Reply to
Outlander