Tools for diagnosing "Check Engine Soon" light?

I don't know if this is OBD-II or GM, but for my GM it takes 40 warmup cycles with no failures before the MIL goes off. IOW, clear the light and see if it comes back.

Ray

Reply to
ray

I hope that you didn't overdo it, and that you applied the compound ONLY to the threads. It's very easy to contaminate a sensor by overzealous application of anti-seize.

You need to clear the light. I don't specifically know about Mitsubishis, but on many cars this can be achieved by disconnecting the negative battery cable for approximately 5 minutes, then reconnecting it.

Normal -- it's in the exhaust stream.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hi Ray,

This Mistu Galant 2000 v6 3.0L is OBD-II. The MIL turned itself off on the sixth start after replacing the O2 sensor. I believe the number 40 is the magic number after which the fault code gets erased from memory.

In fact, I was hoping the light would go off on it's own, because that would indicate to me that I might actually have fixed the problem by replacing the O2 sensor. The car's computer seems to agree with me :)

Himanshu

Reply to
H Gohel

Hello, I would like to ask related question: If I decide to remove catalyst I guess I can remove also that sensor ? Anybody knows how to wire cables from removed sensor so check engine light does not come up ? Thank you

Reply to
nplus

It is illegal, pointless and stupid to remove your catalyst. Also, it will cause your "CHECK ENGINE" light to remain on, whether or not you remove any of the O2 sensors. If you think you're going to gain performance, mileage or anything else by removing the catalyst, you are incorrect.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

yeah, i have to remove the negative battery cable for 3-5 minutes to remove check engine light.

then, i go for a half hour freeway drive to see if it comes back.

which, thankfully, this last time it hasn't ;)

i learn a lot at the junkyard, too. for instance, i learned for o2 sensors, you need a slotted socket to work around the wire and they are (o2 sensors) a PAIN in the rear to remove.

Reply to
goodfortune

I've seen simple circuits on the Internet that will let you simulate an O2 sensor with a capacitor and a resistor. Personally, I wouldn't do it, except to save money on a new cat, but that's all it'll do for you. Do a goggle search for the info. I don't have it.

Mitsubishis,

Reply to
Nirodac

Thank you