valve clearance problems and consequences ( maybe double post )

Hello,

I did not see my post appear. Sorry if it will mean double posts. If someone can shed some light on this I would be very happy. I read about the dangers of too little valve clearance.

I had my valves adjusted some days ago. And it was fine until I did some motorway ( 150 mi. ) at 60 mph. Now torque has gone down, especially at low throttle or low rpm. Fuel consumption is about the same at cruise, but higher at accelleration ( which has suffered ).

I seem to hear more noise from the engine, and when I open the valve cover plug, oil keeps squirting out ( at idle ! ) I suspect from valve stem seals.

Now settings for a 4G13 engine in a Space star service manual are wide ranging, I informed and heard "15/20 cold", over "20-25 warm" to "25-35 warm".

Mine were set at 20-25 but the mechanic said he found them to be too loose before. Maybe they'd better stayed so.

Is there any chance the damage if it exists could be limited when the clearance is widened again ? Is there anything else which could help restore some better valve seating ? And are there any other problems which I have not read about yet about this problem ?

Thanks very much in advance,

Carol

Reply to
carl