a/c recharge .. more

Car is a 93 mitsibushi eclipse

Couple of things:

  1. The manual makes no mention of a low side for the air condition. I've checked the a/c lines and couldn't find a low side. How would I re-charge the a/c?

  1. I'm having difficulty transitioning between first and second gears. Very, noticable when the car is at a standstill. What would I need to check/change to rectify this?

Thanks

Reply to
ma740988

High side valve is next to the radiator LHS. Low valve is on the hose near the firewall, behind the windshield washer bottle.

You can check for pressure by pressing the high valve for a moment. You'll hear a shh noise if you have any. If so, the quick and cheap fix is a can of R12 compatible Duracool (about $40 installed, see your garage). It will probably last 6 months and depressurize again, as the O rings are leaking.

If no pressure, you have a hole or the O rings are shot. This requires a vacuum out and recharge after the O-rings are and drier canister are replaced and any holes detected, and the necessary parts replaced. However, your car is R12 based. Its better and cheaper to get it converted to R134a, if you can even get R12 now. The above has to be done anyway. Full cost is $200-400. Get quotes.

I assume this is a manual. There are two shift cables. The transmission ends get rusty and can start to bind. Pull the cables off the transmission and see if the difficulty still occurs. There may also be wear and dirt in the shift lever area. Pull the cover and have a look.

If the cables are OK, then its a problem inside the transmission. If it gets too bad, locate a replacement transmission from a 95 Mirage / Eagle Summit / Dodge Colt. For the 1.5L engine, find an F5M21, and the 1.8L, the F5M22.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS