Valve clearance?

In the manual it states .018" clearance for the L-Head six but on the side covers for the valves it has stamped in clearance cold .016".

I had a fluctuation in the vacuum readings at idle so wanted to adjust the valve clearance. There appeared to be less clearance than spec. This is probably due to me lapping in the valves when the engine was torn down. I checked the clearance then and it was a little tight. I wanted to let the engine settle in and now has come time to go over it all again.

Which is correct? Who has experience with these?

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Vacuum fluctuation has gone but at .018" there is a definite tappet noise. I can live with it if it is best for the engine.

For reference there is 31K miles on the engine.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I would go for the cold temp setting. That is probably what .018 hot ends up at when the engine cools. (On a V8, .024 seems to work well cold.) I have suggested several times that those who set them hot let the engine cool overnight and then measure the cold clearance and let the rest of us know. No one seemed interested in doing it! (Or maybe no NGer has set his valves in the past few years.)

(a somewhat bitter) Karl

Wizard of Oz wrote:

Reply to
midlant

I still can't figure out how to set them hot and running without setting the engine on fire!

nate

(guess I might need some rebuilt rocker shaft assemblies)

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I would go for the cold temp setting. That is probably what .018 hot

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
John Poulos

Engine on fire is one of your lesser problems. Think about your fingers and knuckles . Actually, what a lot of mechanics did was made cutaway valve covers as JP mentioned. They cut up a valve cover leaving the flanges, the gaskets and the ribs where the studs got through, but making enough room to reach all the adjusting screws. That way the oil (most of it) would still flow back into the pan. I have two of these devices, one from a late painted valve cover and the other from a damaged R-3/4 valve cover (sob). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

You might like a go-no-go feeler gauge for that job. This March 1959 Service Bulletin explains the contradicting clearance specs:

Dwain G.

Thanks Dwain,

Again you came through.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Reply to
midlant

" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

No revisions that I know of from the shop manual specs of .023"-.025" hot, .025"-.027" cold. I'd start with the most clearance in order to give the valves as much cooling time on their seats as possible. If it makes an objectionable clatter, then go .001" or .002" tighter. I see the shop manual only gives hot settings on the '64 engines. I'm not aware of any explanation for that change.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Reply to
midlant