30-70 Times...

Following on from the bickering in here the other day about how flexible / inflexible the power delivery is on a TDI, I did a couple of indicated 30-70 roll on accelerations tests yesterday.

Same stretch of road, but two cars.

Car one: VW Passat TDI Sport 130 B5.5 - mapped to a tested on the rollers 173bhp with 273lb/ft of peak torque at around 2,250rpm.

Car two: Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI SXI 100 - standard and untested on the rollers, so presumed to have the factory stated 100bhp and 177lb/ ft of peak torque @ 2,300rpm at its disposal.

Both cars had just the driver onboard, around half a tank of fuel, and were rolled on in third gear.

Run one - Passat: 7.8 seconds Run Two - Astra: 11.5 seconds

Both cars hit 70 without the need for any gear changes, but neither would have gone much quicker in this gear.

More relevant would be the Passat pre and after mapping, but given the laptop that had all the maps for this was dropped a while back and the HD corrupted, I think I'll just use the 'seat of the pants' feeling as the benchmark for this. :-)

Anyway... not too sad for a TDI barge I think, and proof you don't have to constantly stick stir in one of these to 'make progress'.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I really must get my Caravelle 2.5TDi remapped sometime. (174bhp/400Nm standard). There's a few people on the German T5 forums who've got these to >255bhp+/560Nm+ with not much effort or expense. The downside is that I've done only ~11k miles from new and the front tyres are nearly at the wear bars already :>(

JB

Reply to
JB

Hmmm, I don't think the Clio would be too far off those times with it's mega short gearing, it's spinning useably high in 3rd @ 30mph - my torque levels however are somewhat less than your TDIs can offer heh with 160lbs/ft @

5,500rpm. Confident it would beat the Astra's times anyway - I'll have to try it when it returns :-)
Reply to
DanB

Is that a 2.5TDi 5-pot (like in the Mk1 A6s, VW LT vans etc etc.) ?? And they're still using them in 174bhp form in the new models? I'd noticed a

2.5TDi that Parkers.co.uk said was a 5-pot and that was in the Touran IIRC. Good to see they're still using them - cracking engines. Are they still the good old simple DI lumps, or do they have PD or similar bolted on these days?

And did I hear right? You bought a new motor? Finally decided to give up the whole buy something with 300k and run it til 500k type idea then?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Looking at my datalog 7.4 seconds from 45kph to 111kph that's 28mph to 69mph but that was 52% throttle till 40mph. I know from Santa Pod that 3rd is only good upto about 80 if I want to keep accelerating hard, this is where the 5 speed 1.8Ts catch up as they have slightly longer gears and can just do the

1/4 without 4th, but there 3rd doesn't pull as well till about 45.
Reply to
Depresion

I'm confident you'd beat the Passat as well... pretty sure I've seen the 197 quoted as 5.9 secs or something for the 30-70 sprint as it were. Not sure if that was in one gear though.

The Passat feel like it's tailing off slightly lower down than the Astra, but then the Astra is as flat as f*ck when you nail it at 30, whereas the Passat momentarily thinks about what you've just asked it to do and then spools right up.

All I need to do now is sort out some decent suspension, brakes, strip it out to save weight etc (1)... ;-)

(1) In other words, get rid of it and get a Fabia vRS instead.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

What is it you run, again?

I don't think there'd be much point in me trying to run this somewhere like Santa Pod... aside from the fact I want it to last a while yet, first and second need to be longer really IMHO, in order to get a decent launch off the lights all the time it weighs this much.

First in particular is hopeless... but it's quite funny to see chavs get all excited when they win the initial lunge off the lights and then all deflated when this gets properly into its stride. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I'm confident you'd beat the Passat as well... pretty sure I've seen the 197 quoted as 5.9 secs or something for the 30-70 sprint as it were. Not sure if that was in one gear though.

Ah that's good to know then :-) Although if I was going for it flat out, it would be 2nd gear and a change as it won't do 70 in 2nd. I'll time both! I don't have any sophisticated toys so it's going to be a mobile phone stop clock approximation hehe :-)

And yea, you do need a Fabia vRS :-) I considered one once, I had it all planned out in my head. It'd be black, rear tints, lowered on black wheels with a polished lip, Green cotton panel filter, a nicer looking exhaust and a Jabbasport custom remap on the rollers. So, 180-190bhp iirc and about

300lbs/ft. If they have a standard VAG Recirc valve that starts leaking boost I'd have a Forge 007p to replace that. And a new MAF heh.
Reply to
DanB

Following on from the bickering in here the other day about how

11k?

That's not bad... not for me, anyway. lol

Any idea what mods they've done to get that much increase?

If they're anything like mine, they could do with an improved intercooler... I reckon mine will time a lot better when the weather cools down, and a decent front mount would almost certainly help get it running more consistently whatever the outside temperature.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

It's a modded and mapped Ibiza Cupra PD160, we talked about it elsewhere remember :-)

Reply to
DanB

*perk*

What is this 'Forge 007p' you speaketh of?

Does it increase the performance or is it just something that can put up with more abuse than the standard kit, and how does it affect power delivery (if at all)?

Mine is essentially the same as a Fabia vRS engine wise you see... ;-)

Service item, innit. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Ah yes.

I remember being surprised they do a PD160 - not a usual VAG TDI power output IYSWIM.

They normally do the 1.9 PD in 130 / 150 guises, and the 2.0 PD in 140 and 170 guises, hence why I was surprised it was a 160...

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

It's only an FR 130PD TDi.

Reply to
Depresion

Suppressing on a Fabia VRS.

It's a replacement for the standard recirculation dump valve on the 1.8T, the standard one isn't the most reliable item that VAG ever fitted.

Reply to
Depresion

So what are the benefits, assuming you're not suffering with any boost leaks from the standard valve - any?

Mine seems ok so far.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Not really you can adjust the pressure it operates at, it's allegedly faster operating as well. It's not of use on the TDi though as the engine takes a full charge of air on each stroke.

Reply to
Depresion

Well, it's more reliable, I think that's it really. As Depresion says, you can adjust the pressure it operates at and it allegedly works quicker, but I doubt that matters. Because it's metal though, I think it stands the test of time better but as per Depresion's reply it apparently is no use on the TDI - and listen to him above me hehe. There is also a Forge Split-R valve. The VAG 1.8T doesn't like atmo dump valves, and throws up ecu lights and errors. The Split-R dumps enough back in for the ECU to be happy, and also lets you dump some out to give you a little dump valve ptcshhhhhh as well. No benefit there really - although some people argue atmo ones are better because then you get rid of all the spare 'used' hot air and get nice gulp of cold air back in. Or something like that.

Reply to
DanB

Ah, my apologies. Probably the same engine as JackH's Passat then...? Yours is mapped to around 180bhp as well isn't it? What other mods have you got these days?

I see the 160 maps to 200 plus a little bit at best, I assume this explains why the one I drove felt so neck snapping. It badly needed stiffer suspension hehe.

Reply to
DanB

The official figure is 170bhp and it put up a respectable 160bhp at the wheels, so far it's not too heavily modded apart from the FMIC and decat exhaust it's mainly been things to make it a better place to be like an MP3 DVD headunit (you can go a long way on a couple of DVDs even at 320kbps) and stopping better is good so it's a 312mm TT setup at the front as the stock FR units don't half fade, generally it's been a what's on offer moding list hence front and rear strut braces and I think the only part I've paid full price for a rear ARB as for some reason VAG don't think anything smaller than a Golf needs one. There is probably more I always forget something. Ah it's got a set of S3 wheels (£80 from the bay) at the moment to clear the callipers but they are going in favour of some for an STi (£275 from ebay) as they are unlike the S3 ones lighter than the Empire State. Thinking about it I may be the only person keeping to the name of this group. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Wheels as in, from a Impreza STi or am I missing something glaringly obvious...?

Mine has a 20mm anti roll bar a the front and a 30mm anti roll bar at the back and then it had mods over the standard 197 from the factory hehe! The R27 has the cup chassis so as well as grey wheels and red Brembo calipers (as opposed to silver of both...) it's 7mm lower compared to the stock 197, and the springs have been stiffened by 27 per cent and 30 per cent front and rear respectively. Upfront the standard, 'double axis MacPherson strut system', struts also have a 10 per cent increase in bending stiffness combined with more flexible bump-stops to increase stability under braking - how exciting is that... Finally, aside from the spring differences described earlier the rear torsion beam with programmed deflection - coil springs remain unchanged.

So, erm, there :-)

Reply to
DanB