Re: New car options

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much

> like they were saying: > >>>> Whatever I buy, if anything, it won't be anything with a DPF. > >>> Ah. Sorry, I must have misunderstood - I thought you said you >>> wanted a >> Hummm... not everything in the last few years comes with a DPF as >> standard. >> >> That Vectra I had was a prime example - an 04 estate, it, like all >> the other CDTI 120 estates and Signums, came with a DPF. >> >> The same age Vectra hatchbacks and saloons, didn't. > > Sure - but an '04 Vectra's going to be a big chunk below the budget > you suggested - and damn near any diesel in that price range - > especially by 2006 - will inevitably have a DPF.

Yes... the Vectra isn't even being considered, it was just an example of a sub five year old diesel that doesn't always come with a DPF, which is, unless I'm mistaken, not what you've implied above.

Anyway, why's it a big issue?

DPFs don't like remaps / tuning boxes.

If you're doing the kind of journeys > that cause DPFs issues, you might as well just get a petrol, because > you won't be getting through much fuel.

See above.

That, and I'm one of those weirdos that prefer the power delivery of a decent TDI over a comparable petrol.

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

OK, you found an example of an about-to-be-replaced 4-5yo diesel in which only some of the range has DPFs. But... whatever...

Any half-decent remap box should be DPF-compatible now, else they're going to have a very small market...

Reply to
Adrian

Most VAG stuff up until recently isn't inflicted with a DPF, either.

Not quite sure why you're grinning - it's only very recently that DPFs have started to become the norm.

Like I said, DPFs don't like remaps / tuning boxes - loads of people have had issues trying to map Vauxhall stuff with these from what I saw on the Vectra board, hence why I'm going to avoid anything with a DPF.

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A quick google suggests otherwise, but... whatever.

ITYM "half-arsed remaps tend to shove far too much P out the tailpipe for DPFs to cope with"

Like I said - any half-decent remap really ought to be able to cope by now, else they're going to find a very restricted market in no time at all.

Reply to
Adrian

URLs?

No, I mean a DPF restricts how much extra power you can get out of something without the fuelling affecting the DPF, and I'd rather not, whilst plenty of stuff is available without a DPF, buy something that has got one and therefore end up with something that's less powerful than the a DPFless equivalant, and has one less thing to go wrong.

You appear to have a problem with this, given how argumentative you're being... again.

It's a fact that plenty of people are having issues with the DPFs on stuff when mapped.

A DPF restricts how much extra power you can extract from a car, and unlike a cat, you can't just unbolt it and use the car without it... so why, if not everything has one and you intend tuning the car, bother to even look at anything with one fitted?

Oh, and one last thing - is there any reason why all your posts are in Unicode?

Reply to
JackH

It depends on your definition of 'recently', doesn't it?

You've cited the figure 'cars under five years old' earlier in the thread... do a search on 'DPF' on eBay, and nothing pre-2006 comes up.

That doesn't mean they didn't exist before then - that shitty Vectra I had is proof of that, but it does appear they weren't all that common in the class of car I'm interested in until, two, almost three years ago.

My budget isn't going to stretch to anything that new given I'm not interested in Vauxhalls, Fords. Alfas, Fiats etc, except, maybe as I mentioned earlier, an Astra 150 CDTI, and I'm not even sure if the earlier ones of those would have had a DPF fitted given the earlier Vectras with the same engine didn't.

I know for a fact the likely favourite, another B5.5 Passat, didn't have these fitted, and they were made up to 2005.

Having said all this, I'm probably going to just use this 306 for the foreseeable... if I get the role I'm being interviewed for soon, it won't take long to save up enough to get a half decent late B5.5 Passat TDI Sport, albeit an estate, anyway.

Reply to
JackH

"JackH" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I could point you to cars that had 'em as standard in 2001.

Reply to
Adrian

Yet Hirsch won't offer diesel tuning maps for non DPF cars (apparently some former eastern europe countries got a model without but the same engine). They refuse to map the car if the model designation shows on their system as being none DPF. That was a short while ago. They may have changed since.

Reply to
Elder

Weird.

Reply to
JackH

Yesss...

But unless I'm wrong, your previous comments implied I'd be hard pushed to find something in the class of car I'm looking at, and in my price range under five years old, without one.

And this isn't the case.

Reply to
JackH