Jetta TDI Power Question

I am thinking about trading in my 2002 Jetta 1.8T with the triptronic transmission for a 2003 Jetta GLS TDI with a stick.

Is the 90hp enough or does it seem to be lacking? I can probably get a good deal on one now.

Numan

Reply to
Numan

I went to Epinions.com and the people had many good things to say about it.

Thank you, Numan

Reply to
Numan

Well, having driven both types countless number of times, the 90HP engine will be lacking compaired to what your are use to. However, that isn't to say it is a slug that can't get out of it's own way. With the manual tranny, the 90HP TDI engine is so-so peppy. Automatic trannies in VWs have never been that wonderful in terms of getting power to the ground.

However, the new TDI PD (well, new to us) engine is a major improvement over the the regular TDI engine, the butt dyno is most impressed with the amount of power it has.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Just test drive a TDI to see firsthand how it feels. If you're a power freak, it may not be for you. I liked the 1.8 turbo a lot, but I also love my Golf TDI. Once you're on a highway, it has plenty of power to pass someone quickly.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

I am not a power freak at all. I just want a smooth driving car and my 1.8T with the triptronic is not it. I am going day after tomorrow to test drive the 2003 Jetta GLS TDI with a manual transmission. I think I am going to like it.

Reply to
Numan

The TDI is the most wonderful VW motor ever created (in my opinion). I"ve had them all. It's adequate around town and gets 43 mph. On the highway, acceleration is impressive by any V6 standard (if you keep them both in 5th gear) and you still get over 50 mpg at 70 mph. Top speed stock is 119 mph (takes a few miles tho). Have the chip reprogrammed and get a BUNCH more power (220 ft lbs torque).

I just LOVE picking on full sized V8 pickups on the interstate with mine (chipped). Starting at 75, I can eventually (by 90) blow the doors off the Dodge and Ford V8s (haven't tried the GM yet). Racing up steep hills on the interstate is even more fun. The TDI will accelerate up incredibly steep hills starting at 75 in 5th gear. I just plain smoked one of the new "little" Mercedes climbing an interstate hill the other day. He attempted to pass at about 75 and had a running start. By the time he got beside me, speeds were matched. At 85 I was pulling away. The TDI hit 105 on the hill with the Mercedes still trying, but many car lengths behind.

Reply to
Randy