4 pot types

You're all wrong. Shifted a mate's Merc 260E (possibly 230E) off the drive this morning. Smoother than very smooth thing. Straight sixes rock mightily.

4 pot diesel likers can piss right off.
Reply to
Doki

Good man.

Reply to
SteveH

However, I now wonder if there's something wrong with pater's XJ6...

Reply to
Doki

With an XJ6 it's more a case of what's _not_ wrong with it ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

They're bloody solid cars IMO. The bodies are flaky - arches and bootlids (which is why a solid jag bootlid is worth FOUR HUNDRED QUID) mainly, and the electrics will tell you a hundred different things are broken. Mechanically, they're bloody reliable.

Reply to
Doki

I had an E28 520i BMW many many years ago. That had the 2.0 six cylinder motor.

That was silky smooth - nothing I have had since has been anything like as good.

Right enough, it's mostly been cack.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Hear hear! Only thing better is a nice V8 without getting into silly complex V12s or W-whatsits.

It'd be a 260E with a straight six, the 2.3 Petrol is a four cylinder. The nicest is the old 280(T)E W123 - quite an engine for the time.

Even the old Datsun Laurel is a nice barge with that straight six in it - there's an SGLi (168bhp in what looks like a Japanese Cortina) locally for sale.

Richard (why I like my Supra :D ).

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Hear hear. 4-cylinder diesels are underpowered heaps of crap that are, in general, not all that economical at higher speeds.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In general, in the past yes.

Not any more though.

The 4 pot BMW is now up to 163bhp.

The VAG engines aren't a million miles behind either.

Don't get me wrong, I would much rather have a smooth 6 cylinder petrolmotor any day of the week, but petrol costs 50 quid a gallon nowadays. That's why I only burn it in the locost. Dr Diesel's foul invention definitely has a place for everyday use though.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Should've offered odds on Betfair on you being the first to reply :-)

FWIW I agree with pretty much everything you've said there, just slinging out the bait :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You appear to be missing the point here. The number of straight-six engines that can make over 160bhp and return well over 40mpg, even when cold, is zero.

When you've found a straight-six that offers any of the 4-pot Diesel's benefits, then come back and we'll compare them :)

Reply to
Nom

Umm, limited rev range, piss poor power to weight ratio, rattly noise, wheezing turbo, frequent oil changes and expensive services you mean? I cant see much advantage to any of that.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I couldn't give a f*ck about 40mpg. *Nothing* will ever return 40mpg with me driving it for a start.

Reply to
Doki

You'd have a job to get much less than 38mpg from my Audi, however you drive it. I'm guessing that'll increase by a noticeable amount when I replace the fuel filter. Talking of which, are there any potential long term nasty effects of not changing a fuel filter for 30k? Most of that mileage has been motorway driving.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Lanes, left foot braking and lots of sidewaysness. I'll get the bastard into single figures :P.

Reply to
Doki

Well I've recently replaced the wheels with some nice quattro style ones with all good tyres, but the old ones, with largely knackered tyres, are sitting in the boot, so find a big private bit of land (no gravel though), and do your worst :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hey - don't get me wrong - I hate diesels, honestly. They offend me on every level. I would never ever ever choose one if fuel wasn't so expensive andI didn't do so many miles and get such poor expenses. 7.8p per mile for work for fuel only expenses and I do a bit more than 9000 business miles a year and a total of 21,000 a year.

I may drive diesel, but that doesn't mean I like it.

P.S. Considering an engine swap for the locost. Current favourites are:-

1) 2.0 zetec 2) 2.0 vauxhall XE 3) Honda Fireblade 4) Yamaha FZR1000 5) Rover V8 6) Hotter xflow to replace the current 1660 big valve weberred job currently in there.

Note the lack of oil burners here ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

WHAT? That's a joke. I easily burnt that much fuel in a Ka!

Reply to
Doki

And I thought I got the shitty end of the stick at 28p / mile.

(Only works out at about 20p / mile as I have to pay the first 40 miles / day out of my own pocket)

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote

Do you work in the same place each day?

28p/mile for the commute to work would be nice!

I only live about 400yds from work though, and I reckon my car costs over

50p just in petrol to start on a cold morning. It does about 7mpg and doesnt warm up, despite 2 sets of traffic lights.

Cheaper to walk.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne