Re: The missus gave herself quite a scare yesterday, and gave me...

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SdanPontAherMun.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

As opposed to tears, i always find pants-wettingly scary moments cause fits > of uncontrollable laughter afterwards... >

It did for me, but we nipped out to Tesco later, and she was still spooked even as a passenger with me driving. She was OK later.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Pussy :D.

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@spamtroNspidar.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It's not so easy with 50:50 torsen 4wd ;) It grips like shit to a bears furry arse.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

How did she get out of control? I find it almost impossible to get mine sideways, and trust me ive tried, ive gone round roundabouts at 60mph trying to make it go sideways :)

Maybe its the turbo

btw I bottled it on the Bora, I went to see it and I do love it, but with winter coming up and the fact the car was clean I decided to keep the quattro till next year :)

I will be getting new wheels though in the next week, damn buying a new car is hard work

Reply to
ronny

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ron.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nah mate, she was in her 1.4 Skoda Fabia with FWD, not my Celica.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Rear wheel drive is better. When my front tyres start to loose grip and refuse to "steer" the car, the magic rear wheel steer function is activated by increasing foot pressure on the loud pedal. Its amazing how a bit of rear steer can get the car round the roundabout regardless of what the front wheels are saying. Easy on my old beemer with 65%/35% weight balance. Harder on my newer one with 53%/47% and taller gearing.

Reply to
Mr Fix It

"Mr Fix It" wrote

I've been sideways in three FWD cars - a 1963 mini, a Fiat Cinquecento and a Pug 306. Got into a nice 4 wheel drift in my Dedra once too but it wasn't properly sideways.

You can really do it on purpose in a little Daihatsu Hijet with zero weight over the rear wheels and quite a torquey little motor under your seat, driving them. Heatsoak was a bastard though. Sweaty ass. I loved going out in the wet in that thing, powersliding it around every wet roundabout I encountered.

Reply to
fishman

there was an old boy round here who had one of those (flatbed variant, minus the flatbed), old boy used to like doing mini-burnouts at the lights...(he was 70+ iirc)

Reply to
pi(obfuscated)

RWD here, both cars. TBH, the driven wheels tended not to matter anyway, I used to go sideways regularly in a Carina I had, it was FWD but when you went too fast round corners the back would come out and require turning in to get it all under control again.

The tr7v8 has remarkable grip at the back and bags of torque so getting the back to slide is quite an effort and highly visual when you manage it, but making it swap ends is trivial, just get down to about 5 - 10 mph and turn sharply, dumping the clutch in second with yer foot down. The back will squeal round like a tomcat with his tail in a blender but the moment you let the loud pedal up a bit, it's all back under control. Makes for *very* tight turns when you can't be bothered to 3 point.

Snow is even better, but we don't seem to get much these days. The best part about snow is any impacts you have are likely to be pretty low speeds.

Reply to
Questions

Nah, you have just made her go round the roundabout a few more times ;-)

Reply to
scott