A post about modding a car

Well, sort of a car.

I've just finished changing every single rubber bushing on the 4xFord for polyurethane bushings supplied by Energy Suspension Components in the US. I've also changed the anti-roll bars for lighter components from the same source, and I've replaced the short link from the roll bar to the lower wishbone with a more rigid component from ESC.

It's transformed the feel. Much tighter and more willing to turn in on corners. Still not a sports car, obviously. It's also less susceptible to tramlining in lane one on the motorway. The only oddity is that it now feels as if it's oversteering on bends, which I'm guessing means that it's understeering less than it used to.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well if you actually pushed it hard enough on one single bend (ie the first one or the first roundabout) you would already know which end was looser. Sling it about and feel!

Find a big roundabout. Circulate faster and faster and see which end moves more as the tyres drift. . Faster still and see if its line gets tighter without moving the steering wheel or wider. If you need opposite lock at constant speed - no matter how little - it oversteers. If you need more steering angle to keep the same line then it understeers. Go faster and one end or the other will slide first. I have no idea what a 4x is so cant predict. If front drive this is what will happen and its awful. IF it really oversteers and is front drive then you have less grip at the rear which means you fitted plastic tyres or oiled them or the suspension is unbelievably bad!

Reply to
Burgerman

It's a 4xFord.

And I know what over and under steer are, thanks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Stop being ashamed, just say, "It's a Ford Explorer" - mostly people here know, and won't rip on you that badly anymore ;-) At least it has a big ass petrol engine!

Although I don't beleive it has handling characteristics - surely it's just 'Turning' or 'Crashed' hehe :-p?

Reply to
DanB

Can't beat polybushes. I take it you went for the mid/softer ones rather than the stupidly hard rattle your teeth out grade?

Reply to
Conor

Hey, it has rolling, yawing and pitching as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes I wanted something suitable for off-roading since that's about half the use of the Ford. I only use either MT or proper AT tyres depending on season so there's a lot of squish in the tyres to soak up bumps.

Reply to
Steve Firth

surely an explorer will roll trying burgerman's tips lol

Reply to
Vamp