aftermarket window tints

Hello all. I am getting a new car soon but the darkest tint glass that is available as an option from the manufacturer is nowhere near as dark as I would like it. I know there are a number of companies that can tint windows to customer specification and that they use films or spray-on tint. Does anyone have any experience of these treatments and how they last over time? All I can think of when I imagine the film treatments is the DIY bubbly botch jobs one sees in Halfords car parks. Also, I imagine both film and spray on to be prone to scratching and eventually looking naff. Any experience and advice would be much appreciated as I really don't want to screw up the appearance of a brand new car.

Thanks, Jim.

Reply to
j.r.walsh

Which windows were you thinking of tinting?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Either / or.

A proper set up will last the life of.

Eventually it could. Having the windows removed and dyed is the best way but beware, it is expensive.

Don't do anything illegal.

Reply to
DervMan

Film that's put on properly looks alright, if you like the tinted windows look. However it does depend on the car - if it's got bonded in back windows, it's going to be more difficult to get it neat around the edge than if you can remove the window from the car and then tint it. However, that leads to another problem - taking out wind up windows (rather than pop out ones as on the Ka and Fiesta 3 doors) means stripping the door card out, and removing the door membrane. If all that lot isn't put back properly, then you can end up with leaks and / or rattles.

My experience of tinted windows is that if they're heavily tinted, I don't like it much at all. The side and rear windows are tinted quite a bit, whilst the windscreen can't be, and I find it hard work - looking around is like taking off and putting on a pair of sunglasses, if you see what I mean.

As for spray on tint, I'd be very surprised if anyone can apply it evenly enough for it to look OK. It's hard enough to spray paint at an even thickness.

Reply to
Doki