Forester window tinting?

Does anyone have experience tinting the windows in a Forester? Can you get by without it? Any advice about types and brands of film? Will tinting compromise the antenna printed into the glass?

Reply to
Robert

Many films are 'metallicized' and will interfere with reception. I've read it may only interfere with weak/moderate strenght AM radio - not sure. Ceramic films like Huper Optik will have no effect on reception, but are $$$. Not knowing where you are located, I can't comment on whether you can get by without it. If your previous car had it, and your neighbors and coworkers have tint - I'm sure you would prefer it on the Forester as well.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

From my experience (2005 Forester XT purchased new in the desert Southwest USA) the Subaru side/rear window tint is for all purposes, pretty much non-existent, and they don't offer a deeper tint glass option on rear windows like is optional with other manufacturers.

My other car is a Dodge Caravan which has a tint band on the windshield top, light tint glass on driver & passenger windows, and a deep tint glass on all other windows (50 states legal). Granted, that was an extra $$ option. The factory option is built into the glass and is not an applied film.

I added an aftermarket tint film to my Forester. A while ago, I questioned Subaru USA as to why they don't offer a Forester deeper tint option, but got no answer. (Honda, Toyota & other imports offer it for US models. No idea why Subaru declines it) . The film DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE, and I would highly recommend it.

BTW, Subaru has the radio antenna mounted on the window. Some folks say using metallic window films can adversely affect radio reception.

Formula One film makes a convincing argument for their Pinnacle series which uses a non-metallic, ceramic material so as not to degrade or disrupt radio signals. Go to

and click on Series for their story. I had the FormulaOne Pinnacle series installed. I selected a lighter tint for the driver & passenger windows, with one step darker on the remaining windows, to include the sunroof. So far, after 2 years in a hot, sunbaked area, no lifting, bubbling, purpling or scratches. I could have gone darker on the tint, but personally, don't really like the "privacy" tints in a vehicle I am driving.

If you are in the area, these folks did an outstanding job on my install: Nevada Window Tinting

2015 S. Decatur Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89102 Phone: 702-878-9930

The FormulaOne website has a dealer locator.

Reply to
QX

Well to be 50 state legal for an automobile the tint has to pass 70% light. The laws for MPV - "A vehicle such as a recreation vehicle such as a pickup truck including GMC Suburban's, Nissan Pathfinders, Extra Cab Trucks" exempt the 70% requirement for windows behind the driver. My Ford Ranger had privacy tint on the rear and supercab side windows from the factory as it was an XLT model. I can't find any offers of a factory dark tint for Honda, Toyota, or other imported cars. I do see the tint on the minivans, SUV, and truck models. While Subaru does certify the Legacy Outback as a truck now, the Forester is still a car, or station wagon as it says on my Illinois title, or as State Farm list it as a sport wagon.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom