Anyone building a locost...

Some JPGs of the 2.3 Turbo.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

That really does make me think "WHYYYYY?". Someone makes Fibreglass Corrado replicas for short oval racing, and the bloke would a) have saved a shitload of work, b) not butchered a perfectly good corrado...

Reply to
Doki

He's from a fairly desolate part of the country. My guess was that he's not short of time, probably had the cars lying around or aquired them for very little, and that neither the Saab or the Coraddo were actually perfectly good when he started.

Apparently after he'd butchered the car, he bought the cheapest, most outlandish ebay bodykit he could find and made it fit. I think it's off some sort of Vauxhall.

My initial thoughs were that it'd be quite hard to make it go round corners well if all you've got to set it up is a hunch and a garage. It went better than I expected.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

SHP do them. The Corrado shape is used in the VSR Super Silhouette championship. It's front engine RWD so no messing around with in-car bulkheads and other strangeness...

Reply to
Abo

Too true :-) Even after much goading he hasn't attempted a reverse top speed run hehe!

Reply to
DanB

Do you think it'd be heavy though?

Reply to
DanB

Same reason Dahlback took a VW Golf and Audi S3, cut the floor out of both. Welded the S3 floor into the Golf. Then they cut the front end off the Golf and weld a chrome moly subframe on to take the 900bhp engine. Space frame glassfibre silhouette are easy, cheap and it seems lack kudos of making the original metal go quick but it's not really a Golf anymore [1]. Cost? Reportedly $500,000.

I don't think there was a 4motion Golf back then. Still seems like a stupid place to start.

it's 1200bhp now.http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/160_0406_dahlback_racing_volkswagen_gti/index.html Poor bloke, not seen a diff oil cooler before, never been under an UK S13. If he wants to see both a diff cooler and a manual gearbox cooler he should get under a 300ZX turbo.

[1] There are purist elements in petrolhead world that think any swap of a major part - bodyshell, engine, transmission, diff, axles renders a car unable to lay claim being the best (eg fastest/quickest/best handling) of that model. Eg swap rear axle on Ford Escort for 5 link it may be a better car but it's no longer a Ford Escort. Swap Elan 2+2 Ford gearbox for a Toyota one and it's no longer an Elan 2+2.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Why would a 4motion Golf have been any better a car to start with?

Reply to
Homer

Eliminating the need to cut the body off an S3 and weld in a golf body in the first place?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The only thing he'd have needed the S3 floor for would be the transmission tunnel considering nothing else on the car would fit the S3 floor. Considering the skill Dahlback has I don't think unpicking the Golf floor panels and welding in the S3 ones would be much of a problem to them. That and it being a new car he started with and the 1.6 is far cheaper than the

4motion considering only part of the shell is what remains of the original Golf.
Reply to
Homer

Why bother with the Golf? Just cut the front off the Audi, moly tube the Audi front end and roll cage, fit the Audi engine right way round in the Audi and have done with it.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Dahlbacks business is mainly building Quattro based cars, what difference does it make if he starts with a Golf or an S3, nothing will fit either of them as standard anyway, the transmission tunnel's the only difference.

Reply to
Homer

I think you'd find the steering geometry would limit you before the aerodynamics.. wheels that self-centre going forwards self-full-lock going backwards...

Reply to
PCPaul

A mate has just sent me this:

He seems to think it would work well in the SD1 ;) It's just down the road too

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I happen to agree ;-) In the other suggested items there is 2 x Vanquish's (Vanquii?), one 52 plate with 49k, and one 02 with 28k. The 52 is £54,950 and the 02 is £77,950. Is one very expensive or the other very cheap...?

Reply to
DanB