Anyone here know owt about aircon?

IE. is it possible to DIY a compressor rebuild if it's not holding gas? Looking at buying aircon for the MK2. I'm getting factory kit, and I've looked into it enough to know that it's feasable, so f*ck off if you're going to say "ooh it'll be ever so expensive and difficult".

Reply to
Doki

As someone who needs another refill, I'd say finding slow leaks is the biggest problem. :(

Alistair J Murray

On the contrary. I don't think it will be difficult. Just fiddly and time consuming. As for rebuilding a compressor. I've never done one but I can see at least two potential problems. The first is that the seals might not be available to personal buyers, as was the case with p/s racks some years ago. The second is that it might be a sealed unit. IOW parts of it could be spun together, meaning that to take it apart the joint has to be destroyed. Which is OK if you have replacement parts, but can make it difficult from a DIY POV. If I were going to try it, I'd get a knackered one from a scrappy first to find out how it was made, and check on the availability and price of spares. You might find it easier, with less hassle, to just buy a reconned unit. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

My dad's mechanic knows the local air con people. I suppose I'll be able to find out from them what the golf compressor's like. OTOH, I think the citigolf uses the same parts so I should be able to get a recon or second hand unit cheap from south africa.

Reply to
Doki