applying slick 50 manual transmission formula

Hi Guys,

I am interested in applying this product to my manual gearbox, how is it done? how do I gain access to the gearbox and add in this product or do I have to drain anything out first? my car is a front mounted engine front wheel drive so the gearbox is right under the engine.

Please provide me some help in this area.

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

I wouldn't use it, if I were you. That sort of design sometimes involves a combined oil supply and anyway I'm not at all convinced these ptfe things do anything much to assist you.

If you ignore every other consideration, Slick50 has been around for a lot longer than 10 or 20 years and the car manufacturers have not taken up the benefits under license by installing it into their new cars prior to sale.

Now, I can believe that a manufacturer, say Ford, wanted to opt out. But if so, another, say Honda, would use it and then (if there were any real benefits), Honda cars would be that much faster and better than the equivalent Fords, and we'd all be able to find out with a visit to the Slick50 website, that they were licensing the product and buy it ourselves at retail prices to equally improve our Fords.

Bottom line, nobody (as far as I know) installs Slick50 in their range of cars so nobody who makes cars and measures their long term reliability / performance / economy can perceive any benefit from using it. And that's despite a hugely impressive record of adopting new technologies, competing on quite minor differences in spec and spending vast sums on research for new or bought in products that might make a difference.

Apparently >Hi Guys,

Reply to
antispam

But they are anyway.....

Reply to
SteveH

Listen. Big oil companies invest LOTS of energy and money in these things. If they did any good, they would already be part of the formulation. And PTFE is extremely cheap! (Ask for a roll of PTFE tape at any plumbers supply place, we are talking coppers.

But they (the BIG oil companies) do NOT use this stuff. Why? Because it has already been established that it improves nothing, and can actually harm some things. In short - save your money!

There is also lots of evidence that it falls into the same catogory as "magnets aroud the fuel line" or whatever...

Who said Ecotec???

Reply to
Burgerman

Just lookin at your PC site, you need a new GFX card if that spec is still current ;)

Reply to
Dan405

No, I don't play games ever. Bores the crap out of me. I run it as a desktop workstation, edit movies, web and ftp server, rip lots of "backup" dvds to divx movies because my monitor is better than my tv! build web sites, write dodgy code etc... The CPU is never at anything other than 100 percent, because I hate to see that! Its wasteful! Its always seriously crunching several movies, databases etc at once

So nothing to be gained here - why waste money?.

Same card but now 9 hard drives, (4 on raid) smallest being 120gb, a barton

512 cache 2800 chip running at 184 x 14 = 2576 real frequency (sandra says 3600 equivelent) at 2.1v with the same 4 year old home built water cooling setup. Temperature still around 28 degrees but the snow in my back garden melts very quickly!.

It will run slightly faster, but its fast enough at this speed, and completely rock solid stable. Sometimes don't reboot for months at a time. Xp IS stable, even running all the stuff I have installed. Is anyone still seriously trying to use 98/millenium do you suppose? Noddy bedroom operating system if ever there was one.

Reply to
Burgerman

Agreed. XP is stable. My PC runs none stop, the server in our uni house, and its given all kinds of abuse by me :) Runs at 47c usually, peaks at about 50c. Chip is an XP 2100, running at 2200, bought it off a mate and he assures me it overclocks to 2700, i just havn't got round to it yet :)

Reply to
Dan405

If we're comparing PC's cower at the power of my dual 1.3GHZ Celeron ROFL, both clocked to 1.36ghz, 512mb PC133 el'cheapo ram. 40GB and 2 X 20GB drivers, s**te 4 year old 2X DVD drive, Liteon 48X Writer, Old Geforce 2MX and not a lot else. Does the job nicely for me, runs XP and was last rebooted some time late last year.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Mine's even more powerful than yours then :-)It's a 750MHZ Dual CPU PIII,

256MB RAM (it's that expensive RIMM stuff and I ain t buying it), 1*9GB SCSI drive, 1*10GB IDE drive. Cheapo 4X CDRW I bought at a boot sale and a 16MB SIS card. Does what I need it to, runs XP OK and only crashes when the SCSI drive loses NTLDR once every few months... gets rebooted every day because it's an old Compaq AP550 and it's noisy as hell, so it gets switched off at night.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

My advice would be to not bother with it

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Stuff that! The most powerful PC in my house is a PII 350MHz - and that's only used for automated audio recording. It's the P233 desktop, PII 266 laptop and P120 laptop that get used for everything else...

Reply to
Scott M

I miss my Commodore 64 :(

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

What sort of car is it? If it's a mini type design with the gearbox sharing the engine oil, then don't put any oil additives anywhere.

If it's a normal front drive car with a separate gearbox then go ahead if you want to, but expect little or no difference.

I used Slick50 gearbox treatment in a Toyota Starlet years ago, also in the rear axle, and there was a small but noticeable improvement in the driveline's smoothness. Gear oil just goes round and round the gearbox and isn't filtered each time, so the stuff has a chance to stick to at least some of the moving parts.

(Slick50 engine treatments are more dubious, I have used them but found no improvement afterwards)

Reply to
Mark W

Yeah it's a front drive car with a seperate gearbox. may I know how to access the gearbox to add in the additive? Is there supposed to be a plug or nut somewhere which I can turn and gain access to the oil?

THanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

ITYM XP should be used in a stable.

Does anyone take tellytubby software seriously?

Reply to
Steve Firth

The only slick 50 product I'd recommend is their PAS fluid. Mind u the STP gearbox gunge helped with a stiff gear change in SWMBO's Cinq Sporting (and it was worth a try as it's probably impossible to make Cinq gearbox worse)

Reply to
fishman

Its all complete b*****s

Read...

Burgerman

Er, that's the site that actually sells John Bishop's Xcel Plus !

As a retailer of the goods in question, it's hardly an unbiased opinion !

Reply to
Nom

But there are so many similar things posted about the stuff...

And the one I was trying to find said the same thing, but they were a large oil company...

Reply to
Burgerman

Pah. I'm posting on a Pentium 166MMX, 64megs of RAM (DIMMs, not SIMMs!), something like a 2 gig hard drive and a 33.6 USR Sportster modem :). Runs Win98SE and only crashes once a day or so.

OTOH I have a P133 running 95 OSR2 in a portakabin, it runs constantly and very very rarely crashes. Probably because it's only got 1 program installed on it so bitrot hasn't had a chance to set in.

My other computer is a Celeron 333 running at 416 (Teflon tape on the edge connector hack :P) with a Voodoo 3 3000 someone gave me. That's getting Windows 2000 and a PIII if I can find one...

Reply to
Doki