As demanded by some...

Yes, well, 4.546 is the approximation I normally use (hence my statement above). I was on about an easy to remember way from converting l/100km figures to mpg. Involves the figure 282, or 300 if you want to be approximate. Can't be arsed right now, but in a bit I'll work out which figure needs to be divided by what.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

4.546 litres = 1 gallon (a UK one, anyway).

So no. of gallons = no. of litres / 4.546.

Miles per gallon = no. of miles / no. of gallons, therefore:

Miles per gallon = no of miles * 4.546 / no. of litres.

And there you have a Nokia built-in calculator friendly way of doing things.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Roger: if you take the Berlingo's and such above 120 kph (they top at 135-138) the range on a tank drops from 700 km to something like 500 km. Then again our cars are loaded but I guess most vans are.

We had a big van (22 metric cube) for a while and that bugger needed 30 l/100 km regardless of how it was driven.

There is a good as no difference in efficiency on the *theoretical* cycle, but in real driving the diffence is about 50% in favour of the diesel engine and the engine lives about 50% longer due to the self-lubricating effect of diesel.

Also in real life an engine spend almost none of its time at full load.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor