BMw engine transplant UPDATE

hey guys just to let you know after some careful consideration the V8 is no longer going to happen

engine choice is down to 2 engines

a inline 4 LDV 2litre derv :)

and a 2.5 Ford DI lump :)

thoughts why one would be better than the other in a E30 beemer :)

Reply to
Rob

Wheres dervy when i need some support :) :) :)

the 2.5 DI lump is actually a not bad lump in its later incarnations(new transits) plenty of torque and with the right gearing should be able to get it to cruise quite happily at 85-90 on 3000 rpm :) bearing in mind that soon i'll be doing around 600 miles minimum a week hence need for muchos economy

oh and remember once the fittings are laid down for the Di lump just think about the box used :) mt75 just think what other ford engines can be fitted with little or no difficulty :) once the weekly miles drop below 200 :) lol

but its going to be 600 miles of motorway week in week out so need economy and an engine thats as simple as a lego set :)

its either that or a vaux 16v lump :)

and remember bmw didnt make derv powered E30's so its also got the benefit of being the one off different car that i usualy strive for

Rob finally turned off the html :)

Reply to
Rob

its a good job bolton isnt here. I cant believe lordy didnt catch up with this one yet :)

Reply to
Mark Craft

cant believe the critism over this lol

it was either convert to a big beefy grunty derv engine that will still do

40mpg when sitting wrong side of 70 or buy something sensible :)

this way i get my beemers Looks economy and a bit of exclusitity

tell me when did u last see a E30 BMW derv mobile

cept the 324d cant remember having seen one tho

Reply to
Rob

When the mileage isn't so severe, and you can have some more fun, supercharge it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Indeed they did - the E30 324. Ok, it may not have been available here but, nevertheless, it was available.

John Fitzgerald

Indeed they did - the E30 324. Ok, it may not have been available here but, nevertheless, it was available.

conceded but as you say not in this little part of the world:)

the fact that the weight plate on the inside of the door reads

316/318/324D gives some clue to this mythical beasts existance :)
Reply to
Rob

There's an old fellow who lives outside Hamilton, Jim Bryceland his name is. He has broken BMWs for years and years - since the 60s, including the occasional left hooker. He's retired now and his personal transport is a RHD

324. Take one write-off 324 and one sound RHD E30 Rolling shell. I guess he's lucky that there were no issues with the steering.
Reply to
John Fitzgerald

It's designed for a Transit van, so to be driven at full power for 50,000 miles on the same engine oil . . .

Reply to
DervMan

Sounds like the Turbo Diesel Nova.

Stand on the accelerator. Reach 80, stay there until you need to stop. Take foot off, stop.

Repeat.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo