Cavvy engine transplant thoughts.

Well Guys after a bit of thinking i've decided to keep the current Cav rather than chop her in for something else.
on a rather limiting budget of 2-2500 quid a few options are as follows

Tune the current X20XEV (currently running 160bhp)
Well the options on this part are pretty limiting the obvious way being to go for the dbilas inlet manifold and T/B's which is purporting 35 bhp gains out the box. and so it should at 1300 quid go for a nice shiny 4-2-1 manifold to complement this and continue the headwork a bit further and if theres enough change a small 50 shot of nitrous would see me into some serious 100 bhp per litre fun
Option 2
Ah the much maligned 2.2 ecotec lump. no not the vectra one as its the wrong way round(reversed head) but the Frontera lump. its basically a X20XEv with a longer stroke and a fluffy CR and technically this option could be incorporated with option 1 at a later stage.(although a set of aftermarket pistons and some headwork would be needed.
option 3 Ah now we're talking going for the 2.5 V6 cavalier/vectra lump again this is a bolt in conversion more or less and gives 170 bhp from a stock lump. and the best of it is that a complete V6 cavvy can be had for peanuts. it is a very tempting option if it were not for the cooling issues associated with the 2.5 V6 as there is a lot of options for this donk. 3l block from an omega can be added and 3l omega cams are pretty much the norm in enthusiast owners cars. the other thing to consider is the turbo possibilities by using some bits from the identical Saab V6 manifolds pistons etc are interchangable and the possibility exists to build a very cheap 2.5/3.0l twin turbo cavvy (although FWD)
The last option on the list and the most likely not to be done is to fit a C20Let cav/cally turbo lump. 204 bhp out the box and tuneable (to an extent) the problem is price these lumps command a premium and a guaranteed good lump can fetch 1200 quite easily
penny for your thoughts guys.
and before anyone points it out fret not the rest of the car is up to scratch :)
koni adjustables all round with standard discs on the read and Vectra gsi 308mm stoppers up front :)

flog it and use the cash for a something better to mod :)
had to say it before someone else got in there sorry ;)

<snip>
Bastard. I'll have to be quicker next time ;-)
But, yes, even after spending 2k on it, it'll still be a 500 quid rot-box.
Rob wrote:

<snip>
Get a Z20LET. 197bhp as standard, but up to 240bhp with a Courtney Sport CS2 mod kit.
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

Rob's a Vauxhall fan, so, if I were him, I'd just flog it and buy a Vectra V6 SRi.
SteveH wrote:

Yeah, that would be the easy (ant less time consuming) way. And have money left over for modding the V6.
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

Yes but then i would own a vectra with a squillion nasty bushes and a clutch that i cant change 20 minutes :)
Transplant your XE into something like this :-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemE71789076
Double your power to weight ratio at a stroke.
Cheers,
Colin.
om...

I would if i had an XE :) but i'm not a shandy drinking redtop owner :) mines an ecotec
and as for the 500 cavvy rotbox :) spending money on an engine that can be found in many many other vauxhalls :) i can just take the lump with me

Damn, my lack of knowledge of VX engines has been uncovered!
Cheers,
Colin.
3.2 V6 from the omega

Sell the cavalier, buy a calibra 2.5 v6 and rebuild the engine with this kind of spec:
ARP head bolts, a steel head gasket, forged lower compression pistons, port and polish the head and run about 100 bhp of nitrous. Which should give you circa 300 bhp power, that won't run like a bag of nails and looks good.
Just put it on 18s and maybe upgrade the brakes, throttle body...etc at a later date.

why would i want a cavalier in drag?

Dunno - a lot of us have wondered why you want a Cavalier as well.
--
Peter

"You're not a real UKRCMer until you've had your big end bearings go."

because it's got a better drag CO ;)

If you must have a cavalier... at least have one that has a little style? Also as you should know by now, they are more aerodynamic.