Capri engine swap/Upgrade? Is it worth it?

Hi All,

Friend of mine's offered me a 2 litre Capri in pretty good nick. It's never had or needed any welding having been kept dry most of it's life. It has got a nice large hole in the side of the block with a conrod sticking out though.

I'm thinking it'd make a good summer project , so I need info about engines for it. How much power did the standard MKIII Capri 2 litre have? I know I could drop a 2 litre motor in it easily and cheaply.. but... I've wanted another Capri for a while, and I'd like to make it last and have a bit more grunt, but I can't afford to run a 2.8i.

I'm prepared to spend money on this. What I would like to do if it's possible is to put a 2 litre Zetec lump in there. I've seen converter kits to do this to old Elans and the like, does anyone know if it's been done with a Capri, or what gearbox/engine combo would be best for something like this? I know I might have to change it to carbs with special EMU, but that can be done, it's the rest I'm wondering about! any advice? thanks! Jinx

Reply to
Mr Jinx

I don't get this - you say you can't afford to run a 2.8i but are willing to spend money on a Zetec conversion?

The extra cost of a Zetec conversion will take many years to pay off in comparison to the extra running costs of the 2.8i.

Reply to
SteveH

Whack a Rover V8 in, it'll be more economical than the Essex.

Reply to
fishman

Or even the 2.8i Cologne........ which is what he was talking about.

Reply to
SteveH

Stick a TDi in it from a BMW.

Reply to
Depresion

100-ish for one in good nick, there aren't any good ones left (and it's debatable whether there were any good ones in the first place).... They weigh the same as a small semi, and are probably taller.

Pick up a Granny/Scorpio and stick the Cosworth v6 in there ;)

No need for a converter, all 4-cyl Ford engines from the 50's 'til now use the same bolt pattern, so they'll all fit on to a type9/mt75/t50 gearbox

Personally I'd go for the type9, if the capri has 5 gears, it's probably already got one fitted. The later mt75 'box has an alloy case and can't be taken apart. The t50 can handle loads of power, but is gonna be expensive.

Bike carbs are all the rage, lots of "7" owners fitting them to Zetecs..

.
Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Eh?

They were bloody low slung, IIRC.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Sling it as low as you like, it's a bloody tall boat anchor of a motor. Not that it matters much in a Capri, you could spend a weekend under the bonnet with it closed without feeling cramped ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

If you can't afford to run a 2.8i, you can't afford to insure a modified Capri if you declare the mods ;)

Seriously. 2.8i should give you about 22mpg no bother; same engine in my Granada Estate returned 33mpg on A-road cruising and 15mpg with heavy town use - and it was an auto.

Nothing wrong with the performance of the 2.0 and 5 speed combination, anyway - quite enough for the Capri's chassis to feel fun ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Oh god no, I've turned into Dervman.

Reply to
Depresion

In news:rVqee.33540$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Tony Bond (UncleFista) decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

The I-4 from the later Sierra / Granada is pretty easy to fit to them. Based on the Pinto, but they go quite well, and they're nice'n'torquey.

I keep thinking about putting one in mine, but tbh, I can't be arsed. It's to tidy to modify.

Reply to
Pete M

(:(I) D'oh!

Reply to
fishman

Well, I can have the capri for free for starters, and apart from the bonnet the shell is totally sound, no rot at all. I can pick up a 2 litre Mondeo for peanuts, I've got access to a garage with lift, hoists etc and I'll do the work myself, apart from the other parts I'll need to buy - carbs possibly, I shouldn't have that much expense. I was looking at spending around£1500, which is around what a decent, rot free 2.8 would cost me.

As for running it, Firebond quoted me less with a 2 litre Zetec Capri than for a standard 2.8i on a classic policy with 6k miles, just over £250 fully comp. Fuel costs? I've had two 2.8i's in the past . Around town I was lucky to get

15mpg out of it, on the motorway cruising around 75mph it would get around 28-30mpg. When I took my g/f's 2 litre mondeo down to London and back, 90
  • most of the time, it used 60 litres of fuel in 485 miles, which I work out to be 36.5mpg.

I see where you're coming from, and your probably right, I can't imagine a Zetec running on carbs being overly economical :-) but I won't get the fun (and misery) out of building it, I'd like to do a decent job and have a modernised Capri that will last me a good few years.

jinx

Reply to
Mr Jinx

I'd actually thought about doing that with a Ford 1.8TD from a Mondeo, but that'd be s**te. If I could get a good diesel lump for good money ....

Jinx

Reply to
Mr Jinx

Thanks for the pointer Pete

Jinx

Reply to
Mr Jinx

How about the PSA TD a la 405/Xantia etc. ?

Get a Rover V8 'box and the bellhousing from an LDV Pilot van and it's RWD :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Usually only got 15 ish around town, no more than 28-30 on m-way, but to get that you have to be really tame with the loud pedal, and it's just not that sort of car is it :-))

2.0 5 speed with the modern zetec won't be that dar shy of the 150bhp of the 2.8i, with the lighter engine should make the handling way better, especially if I polybush it, give it a brake upgrade and have the suspension set up by someone who knows what they are talking about!

Cheers Jinx

Reply to
Mr Jinx

I bought a Capri Mk III 2 litre auto as a stopgap from an auction many years ago. I just wanted a legal - taxed and MOT'd - car to see me over the Xmas period and cost less than hiring as my main car had broken and no chance of getting it sorted over that period. I only needed it for local trips. I went to the auction with 250 quid in cash and would have bought absolutely anything. Got it for 195 with 6 months MOT and 3 Months tax. Body and mechanics sound - although the front wings had been replaced and the dark green metallic wasn't a good match. Interior was tatty after the removal of an ICE system.

It was a surprisingly pleasant and lively car to drive. Never took it on the motorway, but in town and urban dual carriageways it was fine. So a manual could only be better.

Bunged it back in the auction after two months and made a slight profit. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd be surprised if a Rover V-8 carb was more economical than a 2.8i.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd be very surprised. My /manual/ 3500S was hideous on fuel. 13mpg was typical.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK