Engine choice. Decisions decisions.

Thinking of doing a transplant to the Capri.

Something reasonably reliable, but with around 200 bhp would be nice

Thoughts at the moment are either 24v Cossie or Rover V8.

The Rover wins on weight and soundtrack, but the Cossie wins on the fact that it's a Ford engine and therefore easier to fit.

Don't particularly want anything expensive or turbo, so that rules out the Cossie 4 pot, don't want anything that needs to be revved to death to get movement, and would like a V as opposed to a boring old 4 pot anyway.

Alfa 75 V6 would be nice, but I've spent long enough converting them to mate with Ford RWD boxes in the past to know I don't want to bother doing all that again.

Am I missing any decent, cheap, powerful engines here?

Cheap, pokey, reliable and light would obviously be ideal.

Reply to
Pete M

Here's a short list

13B turbo 2JZGTE from a Supra RB25DET Nissan, from the GTS-T The RB26DETT is the pick of the bunch but way too pricey. Personally I'd go the Supra engine and 6 speed. Gobs of power and torque.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

How about finding the oversized Rover V8 from a twanged TVR? Then get someone to put you a megasquirt ECU kit together (have a look at

that way you can have a fully mappable and later tunable V8 if you decide to add to it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Don't know about prices, but what about the Lexus/Toyota V8 out of the Soarer/GS400 models?

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Burgerman will help you there!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Forget ideal, fit one of these

Tim S Kemp

One of the kids at uni has a Capri and we have been having discussions about engines as he wants to change my suggestion was the S54 ok so its probably not that cheap and it's not a V (but an inline 6 sounds good to my ears) it's also a cast iron block to keep the unit compact, so it's also not that light but it revs to 8k as standard puts out over 330bhp and 350Nm from 3.25L of normally aspirated engine.

Reply to
Depresion

->Thinking of doing a transplant to the Capri.

->Am I missing any decent, cheap, powerful engines here?

->

->Cheap, pokey, reliable and light would obviously be ideal.

V6 from a Omega, rather then mess about making it fit the Ford box use the Vauxhall one.

My money would be on a V8 nice 3.9 Efi, but then I like V8's

Reply to
Geoff

->How about finding the oversized Rover V8 from a twanged TVR?

->Then get someone to put you a megasquirt ECU kit together (have a look

->at

that way you can have a fully mappable and ->later tunable V8 if you decide to add to it. Stick with the OEM EFi or if you wanted to do it properly speak to RPI,

Geoff

What about the engine from a Lancia Thema LS ;)

Then you can kind of have 2 cakes and eat them both!

Reply to
fishman

Which just about sums it up due to the length / width of the Capri engine bay.

There is also the Nissan 300zx V6, but I wouldn't. Too much plumbing and wiring.

I would be looking for a large cubes Rover V8. Fits, sounds great, loads of them out there.

No brainer ? :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"2JZ engine no shit - this will decimate all..."

Do it :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Yep. Mate it to a decent gearbox, though, the SD1 manuals are generally all shagged now. R380 is an easy swap. And anyway, it's all too easy to light up the rear tyres and roar off into the truck behind, with an LT77.

(Irrelevant stuff about other engines being even remotely worthwhile, snipped...)

Reply to
Questions

Why stick with the OEM EFi ?

It won't be anything like as good as Megasquirt, which costs pennies anyway.

I would add some bike throttles bodies to the above recipe to give the full multi throttle soundtrack :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

->Why stick with the OEM EFi ?

Nice easy DIY job.

->It won't be anything like as good as Megasquirt, which costs pennies anyway.

Mate of mine had a hell of a job installing a Megasquirt on his V8, a lot of work for very little reported benefit.

Reply to
Geoff

A megasquirt is only as good as the tuner. A lot of americans treat injection as a carb, and install a big fat single injector at the TB to fed all eight (or one body/bank) cylinders, rather than doing the direct port/fuel rail route.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Fraser Johnston decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I asked for that didn't I?

Ok, I'll add a footnote to the list of possible engines - it reads like this "No Jap stuff".

Ta though.

Reply to
Pete M

->->A megasquirt is only as good as the tuner.

True, the problems were more getting it to work in the first place !

I guess it's horses for courses, my V8's are all currently in offroad machines, I want the fuel system to work reliably and at any angle so the OEM kit is ideal.

That being said if I was putting a V8 in a Capri (or in a Cobra kit the next project) then I'll prolly stick a four barrel Holly on it ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

The Cossie is far from easy to fit, especially if you're no good with electrics and fuel injection. There are engine mount and bellhousing adapter plate kits to put Rover V8's into Capris.

Or alternatively, why not just buy a 2.8i Special and have it tuned?

Reply to
Conor

I'm pretty good with electrics and fuel injection, so fitting the Cossie isn't really an issue.

Where can I find Rover - Capri kits nowadays though?

Another problem will be that I'll have to upgrade the gearbox. Mine's got the standard 2.0 Type 9 box in, which won't take the V8's grunt.

Mainly because I've already got the Laser, because it's near to mint as I'm going to get one, and because I know the car.

I'm also going for the street sleeper look, so it's still going to look like a standard Laser.

Reply to
Pete M