? Dash Repair - Is it possible?

I have a cracked dash on my 1991 Miata. I am trying to find a replacement but have had no luck so far. Is there anything I could use to repair it? It's only a tiny separation, maybe 1/64th of an inch, but just enough that a glue won't fill or conceal it. Anyone know what would stick to this plastic dash material? I've done many vinyl repairs so do understand replacing graining patterns etc.

Reply to
scGram

Do some more investigating. Some radiator shops or specialty auto supply houses sell a thin skin cover that you glue over top of the old dash. They are a perfect fit and look just like the original dash hiding the damage. If you find a supplier hopefully they make on to fit a Miata. I had a friend recently put one in his Chev Pickup truck and it looked great.

-- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"

Reply to
torque wrench

Thanks ... I'll look into this.

Reply to
scGram

Did you ever find one of these? How did it turn out?

Reply to
HardwareLust

No ... I haven't found any way to repair it yet ... It's barely noticeable, but appears that something from under the dash (in the area or the glove compartment) has poked up causing the crack and has raised the dash just enough to allow a hairline crack. I think it could be seen under a thin skin. I'm still looking for a replacement dash and can hopefully determine what is forcing it up once the old dash is removed. It hasn't been a priority, but something I do want to fix eventually.

Reply to
scGram

I can understand not wanting to replace the dash. How about just throwing a nice dash mat on it and call it good? You know, one of them molded carpet things?

Reply to
HardwareLust

Good idea ... thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I was thinking that I may just apply a thin silver pin stripe over the crack and also same place on the other side of the dash ... It would look like it was "meant to be" ... (Mia is Silver) At some point I would like to replace the dash but maybe not in this lifetime

Reply to
scGram