successor to 900 5-door?

Hello,

I have a 900 5-door which I love but will need to replace this year. I went to the dealer to ask about the new model, but he told me that it came only in saloon and estate car variants (well he called the latter some silly name, but it looked like an estate to me). He said there probably would not be a hatchback model. I really don't want a saloon, nor an estate. I was wondering what other Saab hatchaback owners are buying? Is there a natural successor? I can't think of any. It seems odd to me that Saab have abandoned a nice little niche they had to themselves and gone headlong against the German manufacturers who already make saloons and estates (and mostly with better diesel engines, better gearboxes, and 4wd too!).

Reply to
Ric

This is why I, after many years with 99, 900 Classic, and 9-3, finally opted for the Audi A4 Avant. Similar heavyish feel, solid quality car, as the old Saabs (before GM did its tap dance on Trollhättan).

*That's* the car that many ex-Saab owners have gone for around here.

/Robert

Reply to
Robert Brown

It did cross my mind to look at Audi. I read about two years ago that they were going to do a 4-door hatchback version of the A4 but it does not seem to have materialised.

Reply to
Ric

That is the 9-3 Sports Hatch expected 2005. I looks quite different from the new 9-3, and you're right, it's more of an estate than a hatch, which is a shame.

The most versatile Saab hatch is the 9000CS and we can enjoy the elegance of Matt's MF900/2, but good things doesn't go on forever.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Yep what an excellent car - my Dad's got one. Can't understand why Saab dropped the hatch on the 9-5 either, as otherwise he would have upgraded by now.

and we can enjoy the elegance

huh what's that?

Reply to
Ric

Look in the thread 'Something you may find interesting'.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen