Re: Picking up cars

What are the rules the govern picking cars up with no mot or tax?

You need to trailer it.

I've seen an Astra GTE... > >

Ye gods man !

The older Astra are truly *TERRIBLE* cars ! Open your eyes - there are infinate numbers of better cars in the class. And what's more, that piffling underpowered Astra will cost you a bucketload to insure.

If you want a small hatch, then you want a Focus. If you want a bit of poke then look at the ST170. If you just want something average, then look at the

2.0 - hell, even the poverty-spec 1.8 prolly makes more power than that Astra (can't be bothered to check) !

If money's tight, then go back a generation - look at a Pug 306 for example.

2.0 8v lump in the XSi is nice enough, or there are the 155bhp S16 and 167bhp GTi-6 if you don't want something underpowered.

Old Fords and Vauxhalls aren't to be touched with a barge-bole !!!!

Reply to
Nom

I would say "only" some old fords and vauxhall's arn't to be touched with a bargepole, as I still like S1 RS Turbos/ S1 and S2 Costworths / Escort Cosworths / Rs2000's. If you must get an Astra GTE at least get the 2.0 16v job,

Reply to
Ronny

Nah don't worry, they all do that

Reply to
Rusty®

BOOK an MOT at the other end, giving your full name and the reg no of the car. Tell your insurance what you're doing. If they say they won't cover you, get it trailered (drive it onto the street, make it undriveable in some way an RAC mechanic won't be able to fix - be imaginitive but non permanent! and tell the RAC you broke down if you have good enough cover they'll trailer you all the way home for free)

By the way: It might be less hassle and less guilt factor to just get someone to trailer it though, but this way its free I guess.

Reply to
fishman

I quite like the sound of that XSi, they seem to be still going for around £750-1k so that means i'll have to wait another month but thats not really a bad thing, on my own insurance the best confused.com could find was £1232.70 TPFT which, thinking about it, isnt that bad at all. And I bet if I were to pursuade my parents to get me on one of their policies it would cut that figure in half.

Food for thought, so I decided to let that GTE auction go mainly becuase it had been ruined with those weird mods and stupid stickers (HKS make parts for vaux o_0).

I'm still looking for a nice 205 1.6 GTi at the same time though. I don't think I can afford the S16 and GTi-6 though tbh to buy or insure!

Reply to
REMUS

The earlier XSi is the 2.0 8v 120bhp engine, and the revised XSi is the 2.0

16v 135bhp engine.

It's not too bad, and they're reasonably sporty - excellent ride and handling.

Old Astras are shit. Period. Stop looking at them :)

205 GTi 1.6 is getting very elderly now - you'll struggle to find a good one. 306 is more of the same really, just bigger and newer.
Reply to
Nom