Deltic Engines

Since I don't start my new job until the 30th both my wife and I were looking after my young son today. He was watching some trains on a TV
programme so we decided to take him to NRM at York to see some really cool ones for real.
Anyway, I was looking at the Deltic there and got to thinking about the engine: is the deltic type still used in any applications today; marine, rail, generators or anything? If not, why?
--
www.pickuptruckracing.com - UK's closest race series
Spotter for the PWR truck #9

" Abo " wrote in message

The Deltic is still used to power the Royal Navy Hunt Class minecountermeasures ships. They have 2 x Ruston-Paxman deltic 9-58K diesels developing 1900hp and 1 Deltic 9-59 diesel for pulse generation and auxiliary drive.
Ian
Abo wrote:

What a gem that thing is, but apparently it was an absolute bastard to maintain economically. Sounds better than any other IC engine though I reckon. I think tanks still use a similar concept, but could be mistaken.
Cheers.
On 16 Jan 2006 11:54:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Its also getting on a bit, wasn't the Deltic first run not long after WWII?
--
John Wright

John Wright wrote:

Yeah, not long after.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic
If you're interested!
On 16 Jan 2006 15:04:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks for that - I never looked it up till you posted it!
--
John Wright

Junkers jumo diesel aiecraft engine that powered the Ju88 bomber in WW2 was the basis for the development of Deltic it being one bank of the eventual triangle. NM

So what was the engine like in the old Commer commercial vehicles, wasn't that a horizontally opposed two stroke?
--
Clive

Clive wrote:

Known as the TS3 - 3 cylinder lump with a Rootes blower, under the cab floor.
Phil Bradshaw wrote:
    [...]

http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/TS3.htm
=8/
Nuts.
Alistair J Murray wrote:

What a great bit of tinkering-ness! And with added roobarb and custard. Perfect.

It's a 2-stroke diesel, it makes more smoke than a coal-fired steam engine, only blue.....

<Hmoder mode>
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........2-stroke smoke........mmmmmmm
<HM>
JB
And a fantastic engine note - 2 D18s on full power!

<Hmoder mode>
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........2-stroke smoke........mmmmmmm
<HM>
JB

6 railway locos still running
Rumours the prototype will restored as well
Some naval vessels
VERY expensive power unit

One application not mentioned, a New York City Fire Dept. Pumper. Used to provide power to a "high" pressure pump for sky-scraper fires.
DC

The Super Pumper
However I was mentioning the survivors, so not including the Baby Deltics, nor PT boats, nor the 16 who were not saved :-(
Abo wrote:

It's an impressive beast alright and in the early days of big diesel engines offered a very high power to weight ratio, still impressive now at 3,300hp for a twin engined 99 ton loco. Sadly the Deltic engine hasn't been in day-to-day use in mainline railway traction for 24 years or so now, due in no small part to its horrendous complexity.
The engines sound something like a Lancaster Bomber - a very deep, almost earth-shaking, bass at idle which turns into a low-pitched howl at full power.
The Deltic Preservation Society <http://www.thedps.co.uk has its maintenance base at Barrow Hill near Chesterfield <http://www.barrowhill.org.uk , which is open most Saturdays and is well worth a visit.
This brave chap is building a miniature petrol powered version: <http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm

Virgin used D9000 on Fridays for quite a while as they needed a 100mph Diesel
These machines have been fast enough in preservation to risk damaging a loco with a 95mph limit - known to be safe at 100mph, rumours of over 110mph