diesel knocking

I have just put a second hand head on my 1.9 clio diesel (k reg) after the belt broke and it broke the cam etc... (last owner). Well any way all bolted down timed up tuned over by hand fine. Trying to get the diesel pump timed up roughly by hand. Got it just about running but doesnt idle well. Noticed fuel filter housing (bleed putton on the top) was leaking a bit. Bodged it up with some PUR sealer round the top for the moment till i can get a 2nd hand one.

But any way to get to the point... when i rev it to about 3000RPM there is a very loud knocking. My first thought was oh shit thats the valves but i have double, triple checked the timing and so have two mechanic friends and it is all fine. Somebody sugested that the knocking could be air in the fuel getting to the injectors.

Any ideas, Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish

Timing over advanced? Cam timing correct?

Reply to
Burgerman

In news:gx6nc.280$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net, Burgerman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

It's a diesel, there's no excuse for diesels.

This could be the perfect opportunity to put a proper petrol engine in instead..

Although the other day I was driving the sister in laws TDi Passat and was rather impressed with 61 mpg. Still hated the dieselness of it though. It's worth paying the extra not to have to listen to that 'orrible thrummy noise.

Reply to
Pete M

yeah im selling it when i've got it running. The prev owner reconed she got

60mpg out of it.

The cam is definately timed up 100% to the crank with the locming pin in etc but chances are the diesel pump will be out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fish