diesel vs petrol(gasoline)

Im a student in a dilema of what is best: petrol or diesel.like what is the torque, power, speed preformance and efficiency of a same 2 cars one with a diesel cyrcle and the other with a otto cyrcle?

Reply to
dean.d.d

Sorry, that one was a few months back. We're on FWD vs RWD at the moment - you'll have to wait until after the summer for your question.

clive

Reply to
Clive George

depends on the size of the engine and and type and make of engine i'd of thought as there different from make to make!

Reply to
Vamp

He wants a RWD diesel, then.

Reply to
SteveH

Not a lot.

Naturally aspirated petrol pretty good - wide spread of power and plenty of it. Naturally aspirated Diesel - total slug with barely enough power to move. The petrol has more torque.

Turbo petrol - performance can be good to astounding with large rpm range Turbo diesel - performance as a naturally aspirated petrol, ie OK provided you dont expect a large rev range. Torqwue here is about the same, depending on actual configuration and boost but again diesel limited in rpm range meaning you really need a 28 speed box like a truck.

Diesels wear faster, use less fuel, about the only advantage, are noisier, harsher and require more frequent servicing generally which kind of reduces the economy gained to bugger all unless you do 3 million miles a year. .

Reply to
Burgerman

But what's better - a n/a diesel RWD car or a turbo petrol FWD car?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You're a student.

Walk, and you'll be able to afford more beer.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I would take the rwd diesel, fit a nitrous/propane system of about 300bhp and F**ck off. If I am not alowed to do that then I would still take the diesel! Or walk.

Reply to
Burgerman

Yes, it was all covered before. Unforuntately, no matter what 'scientific' bollocks you posted as 'evidence', real life experience is completely the opposite.

Reply to
SteveH

If you say so. Obviously you know WAY more than I do. With your masses of experience and knowledge. I don't know why I bother. I think I will go back to laphing at these posts instead of trying to help spread a little knowledge. Much like the guy from Puma Racing.

Reply to
Burgerman

See Audi R10. What do you want form an engine and that will dictate what's the "best" fuel. (I vote for methanol.)

Reply to
Depresion

I vote for a bit of that but 92 percent nitromethane.

Reply to
Burgerman

Funnily enough I pretty much agree with you on all points. Turbo petrol rwd = good. Diesel fwd = bad.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Tell that to JCB.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I vote for CNG. Might not be as powerful as some, but as long as macdonalds is arround we will have cows. And the thought os "Shit in the tank" being a source of propulsion rather than the reason to call the AA sounds good to me.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

We did, until recently.

Nope, you are giving a statement which is just one person's opinion and asking us to accept it as doctrine even though it - from our perspective of not being stuck 15 years in the past - is garbage.

I don't think anyone is arguing that FWD is better, but you are making it sound as if when anyone tries to drive a FWD car they skitter off the road anytime they put the power down, which is obviously complete bollocks and, as I said previously, anyone who does suffer that problem clearly doesn't know how to drive. Good driving is about being able to adapt in all sorts of ways, be that to the conditions or to your machinery, it's about using what you have got. Good driving is /not/ about cursing your tools because something else better is available.

...and fortunately are capable of forming their own opinions based on their own experience.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

No I explain why using logic and fact. Something that you bont seem good at.

Err I said this??????? No I said it was a shit arangement!

Good driving is about being able to

Says who????????????????

be that to the conditions or to your

Well the thread "diseasel v petrol" does not mention your driving!!!!

Then go back to your pedal car and forget a car orientated newsgroup. Or stick to your fwd trolly. But do not try to convince the rest of the world that fwd is a good idea!

Sadly most are incapable of logical reasoning too. Like you.

Reply to
Burgerman

You said that FWD makes you drive up kerbs when you go around corners.

The people who are not driving up kerbs :)

Erm. See last post; "I don't think anyone is arguing that FWD is better" You're clearly either drunk or just taking the piss now. Well played.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

My apologies, you should know I'm always a calm and rational kind of poster by now :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Err both!

Reply to