DOH!

The Big Red Merc lunched its gearbox after 264,000 miles.

I've sent out a PartsGateway request and a couple of requests on Merc breakers I found on the net. There are a couple on eBay but can't access that from work as it's blocked :(

I only changed the gearbox oil on Monday as I thought it was a bit noisy!!

That is the third car I've owned that had a gearbox fail. My first car, a Fiesta (lost access to third gear). The Rover 620TI (which was always going to happen) and now Big Red (don't know what happened - SWMBO was driving it at the time, ironically because her car's in the garage having a wheel bearing done today).

Luckily it happened in a relatively convenient location. It could've been on the way to taking friends to the airport or miles from home. SWMBO said people driving past were looking at her with "what do you expect with such an old car" eyes.

Reply to
fishman

First quote from Parts Gateway... =A3345

Sheeeit.

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

Aye, just a bit. Some Capri parts are starting to fetch silly money now=20 too.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Err £345 for a gearbox and you regard that as high? The last gearbox that I bought was about £1500.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You couldn't re-build a broken box properly for anything near that - so it it's a common failure market forces rule.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Throw yourself at the mercy of=20

There are a couple of W123 owners and some in the garage trade who might=20 know where to find you one.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

From a scrappies for an old Merc, yes.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

Old being the operative word.

Given how few there are left on the roads, we can only asssume that most were destroyed many years ago.

Depending on what's wrong with it - it may be worth having it repaired.

Reply to
SteveH

Try Dronsfields in Glossop. They tend to not be drastically expensive for bits like this.

Reply to
Pete M

Their quote is 390 quid!

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

Yes but was it for a second hand scrap yard gearbox with indeterminite mileage and longevity? This is a rough-around-the-edges 1982 W123 Merc so it's not worth spending hugely on TBH.

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

Arrgh! I'll ask around, I've got to know someone who'll have bits for that.

Reply to
Pete M

Thanks :) It's got the 4 speed manual. I assume that a 5 speed would drop straight in though.

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

Is that one of the online breakers gateway things?

My Clarton lunched its gearbox a few years ago. An online breaker mishmash website quickly provided me with 2 scouse blokes promising me a gearbox. Neither of which materialised.

I got one from a Senator in a local breakers yard for less than half the £300 and £350 the online lot were going to charge.

Hurrah for local business.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Fuck that. I'll stick with Fords. Crown wheel on parents Mondeo decided=20 to exit stage left about 6 weeks ago. =A3100 got a gearbox and another=20 =A3200 got a garage to fit it.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

General agreement in W123 since these were new is that the gearing of the 5 speed is somewhat 'off' and the cars are nicer to drive with the

4 speed...
Reply to
Timo on tour

Merc boxes don't often break, unlucky...

DId have an R reg escort lunch it's cogs all over the road, only 50 quid for a box though...

Reply to
john

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@r34g2000vba.googlegroups.com...

Well it has done 264,000 miles. Got it back from SWMBO's brother's driveway today. It will actually move in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. 1st and reverse just make a godawful noise and the car doesn't move.

If I can't find a decently cheap solution to fix it by the end of the week I'll ebay it 99p no reserve. And possibly buy a motorbike instead, since I've passed my DAS and the weather's nice :)

Reply to
SPAMMEIFYOULIKEBUTIWONTREADIT

But with Merc manual boxes you wish they would, terrible things IMO.

Reply to
Steve Firth