duped by Bristol garage

Hampton Lane Garage, BS6 6LE

I got my alternator changed from this garage. Fussy mechanic, kept complaining to me about the difficulty he faced changing the alternator!!. He was rude and imprecise while giving me the quote. The breakdown guy had checked the alternator, it was making noise and was almost seized but not broken. The garage showed it to me in broken (cracked) condition when I went to collect car after repairs. Charged me a surcharge of =A360.

Also charged =A3 72 for labor. Charged =A3102 for recon alternator instead of =A370 quoted initially. Total rip-off. Stay away. Con Garage!!!

Reply to
knts172

And you are a f****it.

Some alternators are a right PITA to remove - you've only been billed around 1.5-2 hours labour which is perfectly reasonable for the job in hand.

Given the location of most alternators in the engine bay, the breakdown bloke may or may not have been able to make a correct diagnosis or be able to properly assess the physical condition of the alternator.

Your maths is quite interesting, too.

£102 - £60 != £60
Reply to
SteveH

Agreed.

I tried removing mine lately, removed all bolts and the stupid thing still won't budge. Will probably result in a broken alternator it I ever NEED to remove it.

Not sure how you worked that out, £72 (labour) + £120 (Alternator) - £60 (lost surcharge because of broken casing) = £252.

Reply to
Homer

I haven't the foggiest how either of you worked it out, tbh.

I quote the OP:

The OP was charged £102 for the alternator instead of £70 quoted initially. That's £32. Don't know if the £60 surcharge was on top of that or not. Obviously companies who recondition alternators do it on an exchange basis, otherwise they'd have nothing to recondition, hence brand new alternators being even more still. It's all down to the garage properly explaining that to the customer though.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Did you remove the belt?

Reply to
ThePunisher

Hampton Lane Garage, BS6 6LE

I got my alternator changed from this garage. Fussy mechanic, kept complaining to me about the difficulty he faced changing the alternator!!. He was rude and imprecise while giving me the quote. The breakdown guy had checked the alternator, it was making noise and was almost seized but not broken. The garage showed it to me in broken (cracked) condition when I went to collect car after repairs. Charged me a surcharge of £60.

Also charged £ 72 for labor. Charged £102 for recon alternator instead of £70 quoted initially. Total rip-off. Stay away. Con Garage!!!

Well if you were not such a useless git you would have done it yourself.

Reply to
Burgerman (god)