Intercoolers

If i wanted to put an intercooler on a mechanical turbo diesel lump would it be necessary to alter the fueling, or would merely sticking it on be ok?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The fuelling would stay as normal.

You would gain some torque and some hp just through having a cooler charge- more available oxygen.

You would need to check the boost pressure at the manifold after- especially if the i/c doesnt flow very well- you'll get a pressure drop across it.

1-2psi is ok, any more and the cooler is too small.

I would hook up the boost sense line to the inlet manifold rather than on the turbo anyways- you'll get marginally quicker spool up, and probably hold a psi or so more than stock into the bargain.

Only when you want to up the boost to get some more power will you need to up the fuelling to match.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Cool, thats what i had figured out in my head, but just wanted a second opinion. Hopefully i'll be able to get an i/c that is already desinged for use with the engine i'm planning it for, so there wont be any problems with it being too big/small. Will probably take your advice and hook up a boost gauge though. Will i literally need to drill a hole and run a pipe from there to where the boost guage is mounted? Is it as simple as that?

Cheers for you help

Carl

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Regarding the older type turbo charged diesels that do not use electronic injection e.g. the Ford 1.8 turbo lump as found in the Ford P100, This engine has a direct connection from the boost valve to the inlet manifold. When I installed an intercooler to the engine off a Volvo 440TD, the boost pressure remained constant even though a denser air charge was admitted. The initial benefit before any adjustment was the reduction in smoke under hard acceleration and a quicker pick up in top gear at about 50 MPH. The boost valve has an adjustment on the top of the valve that allowed the injection under boost conditions to be increased / decreased and by trial and error I upped the injection to just short of smoke generation.

I suppose it all depends on what you are after. To make better use of the denser air charge being admitted, the fuelling should be increased. Remember the boost pressure is set by the wastegate on the turbo and is something I would not advise increasing.

Gio

Reply to
Gio