Ebay - great buyer.

This dude likes to leave some pretty nice feedback.

He'll get his.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Seems to have an awful lot of items not received. That's never happened to me in hundreds of Ebay purchases.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=20

Yep , he's pretty obviously lying about non delivery to try and get free = parts. It's totally unbelievable that that many items got lost in the post.

--=20 Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

=20

Yep , he's pretty obviously lying about non delivery to try and get free = parts. It's totally unbelievable that that many items got lost in the post.

In fact I'd go so far as to say he seems to have genuine mental problems

--=20 Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

You do get some strange folk - I sold an IDE expansion card for an Acorn computer some time ago describing it as being secondhand and in good working condition. It reached a good price - but not as much as a dealer charges for the same thing. The buyer said it was cracked - pretty difficult with a fibreglass PCB. And sent me a pic to prove it. Looked like a very minor scratch to me so I asked for another pic of the reverse side and edge to prove it was indeed a split. Instead he sent it back and demanded a refund. On examination it was indeed just a scratch and could have been there from new - I'd never even noticed it. And it made no difference whatsoever to the operation of the card. I emailed him and said I wasn't going to refund as it was exactly as described - I'd made no mention of the cosmetic appearance and he hadn't asked. Indeed the pic on Ebay showed the scratch if you looked closely enough. Got no reply.

I wrote to him at the address I'd sent it to, and said that I'd send it back to him if he sent the (considerable - data post) cost via Paypal, and if he didn't want it to sell it on Ebay. Got no reply. He tried to claim back from PayPal but had left it too late. So I've still got it...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had one like that. I sold a battery for a Samsung camcorder. Samsung have a bad habit of changing the spec of their batteries but keeping the same part number and form factor. I'd been caught out by that, buying a battery that fitted my camcorder but would not charge because it lacks the "intellisense" controller that my HD camcorder needs.

So I offered the battery on eBay and gave a huge, comprehensive list of the models that it worked with. I put, in large red letters that the battery only worked with these camcorder and would not work with HD camcorders. It could also be charged in an external charger when it would work with any camcorder but then had to be removed for charging.

Someone bought it for a fiver. About 1/10th of the value of the battery. Then he called me demanding a refund because it didn't work with his HD camcorder, a model that wasn't on my list. He also wanted a full refund and to keep the battery because he didn't want to pay the £1.85 to send it back.

That one eventually died the death when he complained to PayPal and they laughed at him.

Reply to
Steve Firth

D'you like dags?

SteveH

When I refurbished the kitchen I decided to try Freecycle to unload all the old appliances. All good quality and in perfect working condition and clean - just old (ish). You wouldn't believe some of the calls about the built in SS double oven - expecting me to drive past the tip to deliver it. ;-) Also a very nice little Sholtes oven with rotisserie and grille not much larger than a microwave - ideal for a bedsit - and cost a fortune new. One woman asked if it would fit in her bike shopping basket - and if not would I deliver to Harrow. The other side of London. For free, of course. But what really pissed me off was the hundreds of emails wanting what was on offer - but after they'd been collected not one saying thanks. So things like that just go down the tip now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We used to have a kitchen outfitted with all Sholtes stuff, I liked it better than most of the stuff we've had since. The only place I could find selling it was Hot and Cold Inc on Golborne Road.

I also gave up on Freecycle. I'm afraid they're freetards, the attitude seems to be that they are doing you a favour. The levels of cheek have to be seen to be believed. I once tried to give away a dozen PCs of various types, colelcted from around the village. I inspected all of them, fixed them up into working machines. All of them had 512 Mb of RAM, most of them were 1GHz Celeron machines. I offered to preinstall Linux, Firefox and OpenOffice and suggested they were fine for small businesses, hobbyists, and anyone who wasn't firmly wedded to the Microsoft thing. I got quite a few calls, most of them "looking for a computer to give the kids for Christmas." Several of the calls were incredibly aggressive, one openly telling me that he wanted them to sell on, several others demanding (not asking) that I upgrade the computers to > 1GB of RAM and fit fast video cards or they wouldn't "take them off my hands."

Eventually I gave up offered them back around the village, had a few taken off my hands by people who did say thank you, and the rest were scrapped. That was, I think, the last time I tried to Freecycle anything.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd hoped the smaller Freecycle groups would be better than the London one

- which is simply too big.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The attitude of people on freecycle is what kills it for me. You would think they would be gratefull to be the one that gets the stuff for nothing, but this seldom seems to be the case. The emails seldom show any effort make you believe that the person actually deserves the item.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I signed up to the local freecycle when I was at Uni. It looked very much to me like everything of any kind of value was snaffled by people with a lot of time on their hands, to sell on.

Reply to
Doki

It seems the Nottingham areas ones (Or the RealCycle equivalent) can be quite good.

Elder

But I need a caaaaraaavan fir mi masta

Reply to
David

Oh I got some pretty decent emails and phone calls *asking* for some of it. 'Just what I need and can collect immediately' etc. Except, of course, most didn't. Think out of the dozen or so items from kettle to built in double oven only one person turned up within an hour of when they said they would.

Bit of a contrast - I had some 70s light fittings again in good condition. Concord downlighters made out of cast aluminium which were expensive new. Just the sort of thing I'd have put on Freecycle rather than scrap. So I put them on Ebay with no reserve. They only made a few pounds, but the young lad and his girlfriend turned up on foot to collect them exactly at the time they'd said - and a few days later sent a pic of them installed in their flat as well as a thank you note.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My FIL seems to enjoy the Winchester one. But he's got time on his hands, is generally polite, and isn't just out to make a quick buck.

Did they thank you when they collected? I'd have thought that would be sufficient. Agreed if collection wasn't in person, then a thank you email would have been appropriate.

Reply to
Clive George

As a general principle I found that the best thing to do with stuff that still has a useful working life was to advertise it for sale, then refuse payment. Unlike Freecycle everyone obtaining something this way is grateful.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yep. Anything I have that could be a good target for resale will get given to = people who obviously aren't sat there saying "I'll have it" to = everything within 30 seconds of listing.

I have had some good freecyclers - a chap who turned up to collect a = shed and helped me dismantle it before loading it onto the roof of his = car and driving it away , and very nice family who had our old settees = for their kids bedrooms.

Oh, and a chap who was sent round by his wife to collect my Top Gear = magazines for their son. He didn't know how many there were and his car was quite a bit lower in = the rear with over 10 years worth in the boot.

All of them sent me a very nice thankyou email a few days later.