SD1 update

Thought you guys might like an SD1 update :)

Things have been going slowly recently as exams, redundancies and wedding plans have been getting in the way. But I've been trying to spend a few hours each work over with the car to try and get it finished.

Engine is currently running a single plenum setup, because it was the easiest way of getting the car running properly. Much of the EFi/ignition system has also been renewed, and a pre pump filter has been added to ensure no rust from the tank ruins the new pump. With a bit of work I should be able to mount the filter on the metal dirt shields that cover the fuel lines. Eventually the twin plenum manifold will be overhauled with new throttles and throttle shafts, but that's an expense for later on when the car is on the road.

The suspension overhaul is now just about finished after today. Front is complete adjustable Leda struts (instead of inserts), polybushed TCA and ARB. Also put in new pads, new fitting pins/shims and made up 4 new brake pipes for the calipers and bled the whole lot once I figured out what do with all the bleed nipples! At the rear the self-levelling Nivomats have been dumped and replaced with standard springs and Gaz adjustable dampers. Couldnt get new bushes for the front of the trailing arm, but got sent new trailing arms instead (with standard rubber bushes), so they're now on with polybushes at the axle end. Just gotta replace the watts linkage bushes at some point in the near future.

Also today I've replace the remote gearchange mounting bushes for poly ones. Considering one mounting was completely missing, and another wasn't using a space it should make quite a difference to the notchy gearchange. In doing that I discovered that a 5/16" socket can be made into an exact replica of said spacers. Very handy! Also put a gearbox buffer polybush in place as that was also missing - dont think it does that much, but best to have it there as Rover clearly decided it was worthwhile.

So a bit of modifying going on in my life!! A mini photo book of my fun can be found here:

Stuff left to do before MOT: Possibly renew the rear wheel bearings - gotta check how bad they are. Replace the rear brake shoes and check the cylinders. Replace the clutch fluid to see if it makes the clutch feel a bit better (currently heavy and a bit 'awkward'). Pay someone lots of money to weld in a new outer sill, repair the boot floor/wheel arch, floor pan and whatever else I find when I pull the carpets out. Get a new windscreen fitted.

So not a lot left now, but just gotta find the money for the last 2 items which could be problematic at the moment. But it'd be nice to have the car on the road for at least some of the summer, even if it wont be looking it's best onthe outside!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs wibbled...

Eeeee, those photos take me back a fair few years.

3.5l V8 SDI, twin carbs, silver.

Third gear vanished after an indicated 140mph blast from Penrith to Carlisle up the M6 and then the towbar fell off a little while later, taking all the boot floor with it.

My brother's still got the engine in his garage. Probably a pure lump of rust by now.

Makes me all nostalgic for another one :-)

Reply to
frag

Most of it will still be there, it's aluminium!

Do it :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I considered this but couldn't find a low pressure type with 1/2" connections at a reasonable price - and worried that others might restrict the gravity feed to the pump?

But I had to have my tank repaired, and they reckon there shouldn't be a problem with rust anymore. Not that I know there was before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine was made by Sytec and comes with 12mm alloys connectors. It also has rubber bushed mounting holes so should be easy enough to mount just before the pump when I get round to it. Might actually do that next time I'm over if I can figure out how all the dust sheilds go back on ;)

My pump could have just been old and tired, but for the sake of £25 for the new filter I didn't think it was worth risking as rust coming through the fuel lines is a known problem.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yes - 12mm is more common, but the feed is 15mm. Of course it's possible this is way over generous. But you don't really want cavitation on a high pressure pump. That was my thinking, anyway.

There is actually a gauze filter inside the EFI tank - although these can break off. Mine is ok.

Did you try reducing the value of the pump series resistor? It's only really to reduce pump noise - the pump itself will stand the full 12 volts. But you can check how good the pump is by doing a pressure check with the regulator bypassed. A good pump will give near 50psi - the actual running pressure is 36 max.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure? It all seemed to fit together quite snugly when I put it on.

1/2" = 12.7mm.

Yeah I've heard of them breaking off, hence the cautiousness.

Never knew that, so no haven't touched the resistor. I did buy a pressure gauge to test the system whilst diagnosing the poor running, but never got round to fitting it. But the old pump was running incredibly noisy so was just easier to renew it before the car got onto the road it left me stranded somewhere. Just became another component to renew in the EFi overhaul TBH!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs wibbled...

Heh, "most" - I bet thats how much it'll cost to get it working again, "most" of a months pay.

Don't be silly! I'll borrow one of yours :)

Reply to
frag

Only one left now. Unless of course you want to borrow the younger sibling, the mighty Montego... ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs wibbled...

Err, sorry, feeling quite ill now...!

Reply to
frag

Have you ever actually driven one? Nicer to drive than the competition of the time. But only knew the 1.6.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed, and better ride and handling than the sierra and cavalier, but the build quality was dodgy, and they brought new meaning to rust. Hidden wipers were a great idea though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Typical BL, then? The car was also incredibly ugly - but the estate passable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)