electric power steering

Exactly. With power-steering, you can have much shorter racks and retain some semblence of non-loonacy !

It's not about being a problem !

Clearly you CAN drive a car without Power Steering - but why would you want to ? It just requires a bunch more effort to park/3-point-turn/whatever.

Anyhow, 309 GTi is still nothing like the weight of a modern car :)

If you stuck your Mum in a brand-new Diesel Mondeo, with no power steering, she would not be able to cope.

Because it only has one front wheel, I suspect.

Rubbish. If you have a big heavy modern day car, with wide tyres and a front-mounted engine, then it's basically a requirement.

I've driven lots of cars with and without Power Steering - and the PS is infinately preferable. You lose nothing, but you gain plenty - why on earth would you not want it ?

My first car was a Pug 405 GTXi with Power Steering. Girl I worked with, had a 405 1.9D Style, without Power Steering - and it was ludicrous ! I went for a spin, and nearly stacked it when I came back into the carpark, simply because I couldn't turn the wheel fast enough. When I asked her about it, she basically said she didn't bother parking it anywhere but in a bay, because she simply couldn't ! Granted, if I'd have been used to it, it would probably have been fine - but drivers aren't all hulking great blokes :)

You have very odd views Carl - you seem to be totally anti-comfort ! Anything that makes life easier, is clearly a good thing - unless there's some huge disadvantage to it.

This discussion is moot anyway - it's not like you CAN buy decent cars without Power Steering these days !

Reply to
Nom

LOL :)

It's a bit different though - if a car with PAS, loses it's PAS, then it becomes almost impossible to drive - it's MASSIVELY harder to drive than a car that didn't have PAS in the first place.

Reply to
Nom

But that means all the weight is on that wheel (and theres a loty of weight at the front!). 4 wheeled once were exactly the same though

front-mounted

Depends. Some cars can be overly assisted steering and completely lose any feel in the it. To me that is *vitally* important. IME Peugeot are very good at getting it right, however i think it was a Mitsubishi Galant, where it was just horrible.

Cant be arsed to get into another arguement with you, but i'm not anti-comfort, i'm all for it. But i put enjoyment, handling and performance above that. Hence i didnt not buy my 205 because it didnt have PAS or air con etc. To me things like that are just added bonuses, not necessities.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Wusses :) Our Berlingo at work lost its power steering whilst i was driving it (not my fault, honestly), i almost crashed when it happened!! The next day it started grinding. Just another thing to go wrong :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not at all, It's a Mazda RX-8 which has been generally praised for it's handling and is very driver focused. Fuel consumption sucks ass mind, but I knew that when I bought it.

Reply to
GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo

Blimey, I've driven one of them and didn't even realise it was electric PAS :)

Quick google brings back the following from a random review;

"The accurate and well-weighted electric steering also feels natural, unlike in some other cars."

Mazda must have put some serious effort into it.

Reply to
Lordy

Nope. Because there wasn't one, or more to the point, is was barely noticeable, maybe 1/4 of a turn overall at most.

Reply to
Stuffed

The Cav was about 1100kg or so IIRC. Not sure if that was saloon or hatch, I had both at various times. Seem to remember one of my PAS cars being 1300kg, with no more heavy an engine, and similar sized tyres. The Cav was a bitch at low speeds, but never a problem as such. And it didn't have a belt continually being dragged around to power something I hardly ever noticed. As I've said, on a 50 mile drive, how often do you park the damned car? :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Very uncommon though - it's usually only huge barges that suffer from that - Rover 800 springs to mind. And if you're buying a car like that, then clearly you aren't bothered about steering-feel :)

Average power steering setup as seen on a Focus, Mondeo, my 620 TI, etc. is just fine.

Bah !

Hurrah :)

I know ;)

Well I wouldn't have bought my TI, if it didn't have PAS, ABS, AirCon, Remote Central Locking, Leather (in that order :)

Reply to
Nom

My previous 405 very occasionally stalled when you dipped the clutch at low speeds - and more than once, I totally failed to turn into the junction I'd just stalled before ! Not funny :)

Reply to
Nom