Musk electric pickup truck.

www.endgadget.com Elon Musk vows to build electric pickup truck 'right after' Model Y

On Wednesday, December 27, 2017 at 9:50:32 AM UTC+8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bigger than an F-150 *GROAN* Why not something smaller? Oh I forgot, rednecks need room for a gun rack.
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 5:37:33 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

I used to own a 1967 Ford pickup truck. It had an eight feet long bed on it. That was a Real Pickup truck, in my opinion. They just don't make them like they used to anymore

I suspect Mr. Musk will make them like they used to, in part. The huge amount of low end torque available with an electric motor and the fact that you can easily get torque to all four wheels and control them independently is likely to be a huge benefit for a pickup actually being used for work. And the fact that the gas engine has to be sized for peak load and therefore becomes inefficient at smaller loads disappears.
Maintenance on the electric vehicles, other than on the batteries, is minimal, which is a big win for fleets.
It's a good application for electric power. --scott

I am amazed at the mileage they are getting from modern-managed batteries. When a radio show said the new electric semi was expected to get 500 miles I thought it was absurd until I remembered the enthusiast I met with the sports car exceeded 200 miles.
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 9:35:32 PM UTC-10, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

. When a radio show said the new electric semi was expected to get 500 mile s I thought it was absurd until I remembered the enthusiast I met with the sports car exceeded 200 miles.
My understanding is that a lot of the Tesla batteries have capacities limit ed by the programming software. You have to pay for the additional kilowatt hours but it's cheaper to install the same batteries in the cars. From a m anufacturing standpoint, it is more cost effective to use the same hardware across a model line and disable features through software on lower end mod els. It's brilliant!
On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:24:21 PM UTC+8, dsi1 wrote:

ited by the programming software. You have to pay for the additional kilowa tt hours but it's cheaper to install the same batteries in the cars. From a manufacturing standpoint, it is more cost effective to use the same hardwa re across a model line and disable features through software on lower end m odels. It's brilliant!
Is it like Apple? That is limit power draw when the batteries get old?
On 4/01/2018 5:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:

It is not a new concept and has existed for 30+ years.
--

Xeno