Ex Police T5's?

What sort of power would a police spec T5 have?

Had a short race with one today and could not pull away from him, At the lights later the guy said it was an ex cop car with about 260 BHP but wasn't sure, also reckoned he had traction problems putting the power down.

Must admit they make a damn good "stealth" car - this one had no badges and just looked like a plain old white Volvo estate..

Reply to
Me

If they followed the same logic as with the Cosworths, then about 20% less than stock.

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

friend of mine once had an ex volvo 850 estate. seemed standard but the suspension looked like it had been strengthened and didn't look stock at all. had some cool and useful racking in the back mind. it pulled like a train but no idea on spec. oh and they left the lights in behind the grill but they wasn't wired up. well not when he bought it hehe

dunno what happened to it though. it was years ago pre-cav hehe

Reply to
Vamp

I can't really comment about the T5's, but I know for sure that the UK- Police Cosworths were detuned. I received a police-chip once: more torque below but less top-end.

Belgian Police never had Cosworth's nor the T5's. They had a Volvo 240 Turbo though of which several ended in a ditch. When they switched from the RWD Volvo's to the FWD-Saabs the first badge of 15 Saabs were crashed with a forthnight. GM did not like the publicity as the drivers openly critisied the "bad" Saab's.

I worked freelance for GM at the time and was commissioned to give driving lessons at Spa. Picture an 19 year old red-clad racer (65 kg) instructing the ex-Volvo coppers... I had a class of 10, 9 men and a woman. All knew far more than me about driving, but at Spa they were all a mininum of 20 sec slower, boiling brakes all the time.

The blokes never listed, the female did. Guess who was fastest at the end of the day? Rather amusing footnote: our 5 cars were driven back to Brussels in the evening, 4 of them were flashed by collegues. The female wasn't: we were dining at Spa. We raced home to Brussels rather late at night. One sure does stupid things when young(er). :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

My mates dad in Greece had a 240 Turbo. One of the maddest things I've ever driven. I can easily see why they ended in a ditch :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Filthy Sod

more than likely stock, but with uprated suspension and "police spec" brake pads

at least this was the case with police veccies and cavvies

Reply to
Rob

With all the police gear removed they can be lighter than stock (often manual / no aircon / no audio) and as long as they're maintained they're quicker with more miles. So a 150k+ ex plod T5 with a recently replaced turbo and injectors is likely to be quicker than a new one from dealer.

Club members often buy them to get serious power gains by sticking bigger turbo / nitrous on them. 300-350bhp is easy, change the internals and 400+ can be seen.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

interesting. anyone know where coppers tend to offload them?

Reply to
Vamp

In a baby Impreza ? You were probably holding him up... :)

Depends what kind of T5 it was, if I remember correctly the V70 was about 250bhp.

250bhp and FWD don't mix that well :)
Reply to
Lordy.UK

Strangely enough, at

:)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

heh - 350 - 400 and then see...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Plenty there that would be a good starting point - how about an omega / lS1 conversion...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Although even the baby ones manage 0-60 in 5.9 according to Parkers. Although if this short race was a 2nd gear and upwards job I'd bet on the T5.

Good call.

Reply to
Iridium

The volvos are bonkers at illegal speeds - 0-30 suffers with traction issues.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I prefer to trust Subaru, who quoted it as 6.4 seconds and 143mph :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Heh, Parker's figures in 'Load of bollocks' shocker. I was looking up Civic Type Rs the other day, they quote the Anniversary as been slower, although, it's exactly the same car, but with red seats and rear tints....

Reply to
Iridium

Upto 99 manuals 250, autos 240, after 99, manuals 265, auto's 250. Or there abouts.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sorry to correct you Lordy, but for the MY03 WRX Subaru quote the following :-

Top Speed 144 mph

0 to 60 mph 5.6 sec

Fuel consumption (mpg/litres per 100 km) Urban 22.2/ 12.7 Extra Urban 39.8/ 7.1 Combined 30.7/ 9.2

CO2 combined g/km 219

Vehicle Dimensions (mm) Length 4415 Width 1740 Height 1440

:-)

Reply to
Me

That would be for a WRX STi or a WRX PPP.

We can quote all the random specs we want, but 215bhp in a 1500+ kilo car is not going to give you 60 in five and a half seconds.

Reply to
Lordy.UK