Experiments with Biodiesel

Just found out where's a couple of places near our Lytham office wot do biodiesel. And since I drive over there and back once a week I thought I'd give it a go, so on the way home last night I filled up at 93p/litre instead of 109p/litre :)

That's nearly a tenner less per tankful...

Note to self: buy new fuel filter ;) And some jerry cans so I can fill up at home.

Reply to
Abo

Goto Tesco's and buy it for 74p per litre.

Reply to
Geoff

And f*ck up my fuel pump? No thanks

Reply to
Abo

Robbing bastards. It used to be £1.22 for 3 litres when I started running off tesco veg.

MikeP

Reply to
Mike P

For a long time Tesco "Value" sunflower oil was £0.25 per litre. Then they caught on.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Pura vegetable oil(100% rape) 56p Litre standard price. Tesco pure sunflower oil 88p Tesco pure corn oil, on special 68p Litre.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Something I've noticed of late is that all the cheap veg oil in Makro sells out dead quickly. I blame the builders and taxi drivers lol

Reply to
Abo

Makro sell long life oil so it is more expensive.

Carl was the veggie oil from Tesco's ? The Tesco's price down here is

74p.
Reply to
Geoff

About £15 for 20 litres or something like that?

Reply to
Abo

Pura was from tesco, search it online, and order it for delivery. I'm sure it is something 65-75p a litre in the local Lidl too.

Reply to
Elder

I wonder what the delivery guy would make of dropping off 200 litres lol

Reply to
Abo

Note: Be wary of biodiesel! it is not, i repeat: is NOT supermarket grade veg oil! It is treated chemically (estherified) and mixed with alcohol, so else than regular diesel and "normal" veg oil it is quite harmful to parts like fuel pumps and diesel injection systems. Bosch for instance voids all warranty on failures due to biodiesel, if the parts have not first been modified for dear money...

Regular veg oil is a lot safer, just mix it with diesel if it gets too cold to avoid clogging the filters.

btw, in Germany ther is a hardcore fraction running their diesels on _used_ veg oil out of McD potato friers... build a 2µm filter array in your garage (buy one ready for 500 pounds), and get the oil for free...

cu Micha

Reply to
Michael Wang

we've seen people buy 25 litre drums in Makro and then decant it into the fuel tank before leaving the car park!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's not like I'll be putting it into my '07 Vectra...

everything I have ever read anywhere about using a diesel/svo mix is that the Lucas fuel pump is known for it's tendency to go terminal with even small amounts of veg in the diesel.

Reply to
Abo

a 50/50 mix with diesel keeps everything lubricated and running nicely.

Reply to
Geoff

Yes, spot on.

is a useful source of info.

Cheers

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

It appears to be a regular thing for Tesco. Go stick 2/3 tank of diesel in, drive round to the store, buy a trolley full of cheap one litre bottles. Drive round to the recycling bank, fill tank from bottles, bottles straight into the recycler.

Reply to
Elder

Not forgetting to get the clubcard points for recycling of course.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ours doesn't have that facility yet, just the usual bottle banks. But I bet those that do, have the a huge following in the biomass fuel community.

Reply to
Elder

The problem is that bottles have to be ... entered ... one ... at ... a .. time ... ... in ... order ... for ... the ... machine .. to ... sort ... and ... count ... ... ... them.

And usually after stuffing it with food tins it tells me I have entered

20 glass bottles which makes me wonder if there's any point to the machine.
Reply to
Steve Firth