fault code reader

When you're using these ELM327 devices, do you need to have your engine turned on or should they still work with it off?

The ignition always has to be on, but the engine can either be running or not.
--
Jim

John laid this down on his screen :

Either, depending upon what you are trying to do.You can download and clear codes with just the ignition on, or see the live data with the engine running.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

crap I think thats the problem. I dont have a laptop so have to run a cable back to my desktop in the house. I have the ignition on, but when I walk away it turns itself off. Cant leave the keycard cause someone will zip off in it. Actually i wouldn't be too bothered if they did do that all the trouble I've had. Neighbours had their car nicked recently.
I will have to sort something out so I can do it with the engine on. Cheers!
John wrote:

Erm, gotta ask - if you haven't got a laptop that you can take to the car, why didn't you get a hand-held code reader like this for instance http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maxscan-GS500-Diagnostic-Fault-Code-Reader-Engine-Reset-/110563719128?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item19be1c77d8
John wrote:

How long is the cable? If you're using a serial port, 50 feet (approx 15 metres) is the maximum, if using USB, 5 metres is the maximum. Any longer than that and the data you get won't be readable/reliable.
It happens that John formulated :

USB cables can be extended if you insert a USB Hub at the 5m point, then you can use another 5m extension.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 30/07/2010 1:41 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I usually just drive the car into the lounge room :)
On 28/07/2010 18:42, John wrote:

Schlepp the desktop + monitor out to the car? Ok, bit tedious, but it stands a chance of working, and mains extension leads tend to be reliable.
wrote:> Schlepp the desktop + monitor out to the car? Ok, bit tedious, but it stands

I saw a bluetooth obd2 reader on ebay the other day out of china for less than 30 quid delivered. May be a better option. Or just borrow a friends laptop for the day.
Fraser
Fraser Johnston wrote:

I have a Bluetooth one with an app on my HTC HD2. Works great with the phone mounted in the car too. :)
Fraser Johnston used his keyboard to write :

I have a 10 year old(?) W98 laptop I use with the ELM interface. I don't think any of the various software available for the ELM needs anything special in the way of an operating system. An old but working laptop with a USB interface can be got for 30 and up.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)