Fecking 106

Well I've been out for a long drive tonight and all was going well.... until I came up a slip road onto the M27, accelerating hard, did a quick gearchange into 4th and when i put my foot back down there was nothing for about 0.5sec then off we went. As I eased into motorway cruising speed it became obvious something was wrong as when feathering the throttle to maintain speed or just accelerate slightly there's a nasty hesitation. However if I floor it it goes fine.

Great, another problem to sort. Gonna check all the wiring to the sensors, HT leads, plugs etc, but I'm half expecting the coil pack to have died. I think it's the original, so it's been going for 14 years/140k miles so it's probably due to die. But then again it could be something else. Bloody PITA!!

It needs to cope with a 180 miles drive tomorrow evening though, so lets hope it survives!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

My guess would be the throttle potentiometer has burnt out a track but still works fine at WOT.

Reply to
Pete M

First thing to do with these is check all the wiring loom plugs in the engine bay aren't corroded and they're seating nicely.

Dunno about where you are, but we've had some heavy rain here in the last week and that could have got into one of the joints, so to speak.

Next thing I would do before spending huge amounts of money on it on things like coil packs (which are indeed a 106 failing), is get it hooked up on a diagnostic machine somewhere and find out if the ECU is broadcasting any fault codes.

If so, get them listed then cleared off and try the car again - one of my better mates has a 306 HDI which kept cutting out just when you didn't need it too, i.e: when you're doing 80+ in the fast lane of a packed motorway, and =A320 of diagnostic code clearing later, it sorted it right out.

Yes, that's a diesel and this is a petrol, but they're all a bit prone to running like a bag of the proverbial when sensors aren't playing the game.

Other common 106 failures (IME of the GTi 16v lumps, anyway); lambda sensor, MAP sensor and temperature sensors - there's more than one of these on the 16v lump.

If it runs fine initially then plays up more and more as it gets up to temperature, I'd definitely start looking at the lambda as they're fairly cheap and these do little until the car has warmed up.

MAP sensor is another one that gives all kinds of grief if it's not

100%.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

When coils die on the Clio V6, you just lose a cylinder - and it idles roughly, and drives very roughly, but all the time - like at any revs or throttle. Although ISTR that a couple of people said it's fine and dandy till about 3-4krpm then it just dies and refuses to properly rev any higher. But the Vee has a seperate coil for each plug, so it's normally (when they're idling rough due to dead coil) easy to diagnose because you can just pull each one off, and when you pull one off and it makes no difference - that's the dead one. I'd have thought if you had a dead coil pack it would just run like a pig the whole time though? Unless it's just on it's last legs I guess?

Reply to
DanB

600 miles later and we've returned home in one piece without any hiccups. Good good :)
Reply to
Carl Gibbs