Great, it's snowing

... and I have to change the knackered thermostat on the ovloV today as I'm planning to take that on a little trip to Gatwick on Tuesday and don't really want to drive around with a thermostat that opens a little too early.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I'm going out in a bit to put a new battery in the Skoda and it's feckin' baltic here too.

As an asides ;-) Going to use it for a few weeks. The Golf has 110,000 miles on the clock now - it had 60,000 two years past in June when I got it. The Skoda only has around 45,000 miles on it. My A class was also an X reg and that had 60,000 on it when it went in 2003. If it really is worth so little because of the poor market, I might just keep it - it's too good a car to give away for nothing. It would mean I could do a few jobs to the Golf and still have transport.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

You lucky bugger. All we got was more rain.

Reply to
Elder

Well, it has switched over to rain now...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

We just appeared to get our "Arctic Blast". Was about to go out to do the weekly oil, coolant, tyres, petrol duty. As I go to stick my shoes on, there is a 5 minutes hail storm, a howling gail, driving rain. I'll have a brew and try again.

Reply to
Elder

Tell me about it, I changed the cambelt on one of the Xantias yesterday. Shit job at the best of times, but yesterday was COLD, my fingers hurt today...

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

I'm seriously reconsidering my plans but in the back of mind I know I have to change the thermostat or drive the MX5 to Gatwick...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

How big a job is it on one of those? On the GT4, the alternator, AC compressor, intercooler and loads of pipes needed to come off.

So while I was at it, I swatched to Samco hoses and did a full coolant change, to saw doing it again.

Reply to
Elder

It took about ten minutes, mainly because I had to get a second bowl from indoors as some of the coolant was dripping somewhere I hadn't anticipated.

I also found the cause of the high idle - someone 'adjusted' the wrong part with the result that the throttle wouldn't close far enough to trigger the idle switch. Guess I'll have to give that idle a quick tweak before I set off as it's now idling a little too low for my liking. Still doesn't stall with the auto in gear so I guess I could leave it.

Guess I better go for a quick spin before the sun sets. Yes, It's sunny down here now.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Bugger. Well, it does stall if you let the throttle 'snap' closed. If you take your foot of the accelerator a bit more slowly it's fine. Hmm. Might be that the TPS needs a quick tweak, or the whole thing a good service. Given the state of the air filter, I'm currently thinking the latter...

Shifts rather well, is reasonably comfy and once I've sorted out the usual cheapo car niggles it's probably a half decent buy for fivehundred and a bit.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I took Freddie for his swimming lesson this morning and the car park was almost deserted and covered in snow. I was in the Pug and therefore sat in the front seat, and he experienced his first handbrake turns :D

Actually after a couple I just left the handbrake on so the arse just swang out every time I turned the wheel. It was *almost* like having RWD, to the point of being able to do pseudo-donuts...

Reply to
Abo