I am a spannering god!

(Obviously that's stretching things a bit, but.....)

The Chinese bike is running. I've just blatted up and down the road with it a few times.

It's very retro in the way the engine sounds and feels.

It's quite loud.

Seems to go, steer and stop OK.

The electric start is useless. But it kicks over first or second kick.

I'm feeling quite smug now.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmmmmm, I have to say I'm very tempted by one of the GY125s. Been thinking about doing my CBT and getting something similar to ride around on for a while now.

In fact one like this:

could also go and pick it up to save delivery costs! What do you reckon for a first bike? Think I need to sit down price everything up!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I could also go and pick it up to save delivery costs! What do you reckon > for a first bike? Think I need to sit down price everything up! I don't know much about modern bikes. I gave m/bikes up many years ago, but the Chinese ones do seem to be excellent value. For a first bike I can't see how anyone could go wrong. Just make sure you budget for some good protective clothing. It's all very well being legal with just a crash helmet, but if you fall off you'll be grateful if you're wearing some decent leathers. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Do it!

I'm quite impressed with mine.

OK, the fit and finish isn't great and it's probably taken me 10 hours to get it together and running.

However..... for that kind of money you'd get some absolutely shagged old DT125, so I say go for it!

If you don't get on with it, then it's not a lot of money to throw away, if you do and you pass your test, buying a bigger road bike, you'll still have a nice 'crosser to use as well.

Reply to
SteveH

Lovely and retro.

Reply to
SteveH

> I could also go and pick it up to save delivery costs! What do you >> reckon for a first bike? Think I need to sit down price everything up!>

I reckon for £100 I could have a helmet and jacket - not top quality stuff but probably good enough to start with. £150 for the insurance. £650 for the bike OTR. £100 for the CBT. So around £900. Hmmmm, I may be getting a promotion soon, so if I do it may be a good excuse to treat myself, depending on whether or not I end up buying a house this year.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

£100 Helmet + Jacket £150 Insurance £650 Bike £100 CBT ==== £1000
Reply to
Tom Robinson

£100 for a CBT? - Really? - If you do it on your own bike, it'll be a lot less.

But yes, you're in the right ball-park.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, that's the one :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You have been breathing MZ two stroke fumes too long. Sounds like a morning wet fart after a night on the Guiness and curry.

Reply to
Elder

"it sounds like an old nail"

"it sounds like an old nail"

"it handles like an old nail"

"it starts like an old nail"

Reply to
Steve Firth

It cost less than an old nail...... and it's new.

It's going to be a hoot blatting around on it locally.

Reply to
SteveH

A mate's little bro is about to do his, £80 with own bike, and this is oop norf. Granted, the bike itself was only £100 and came with a broken ignition and no V5 - but his mate assured him it was kosher...

Reply to
DanTXD

You are a spanner.

Reply to
Doki

Bored of it yet? I'll give you £500 for it when you are :) I miss my crosser bike days. Mate had a Kwak KDX 125. It would do 80 - granted it ratttled to the point where you thought you might die, but still, you were doing 80 :-D

Reply to
DanTXD