I am officially Golfless

Decided a few days ago to get shot of it by doing a VT. Pscyhed myself up to phone the people who HP'd it. Some of the lenders can be quite sticky about people exercising this right, but I've paid more than half, so it's their car any time I choose to terminate.

Anyway, phone call went like this.

Them : - Good morning, ********, how can I help you. Me : - Yes, hope you can help me. I wish to VT my car. Them :- No problem sir, what's your account number. Me : - The acount number is *&*&*&**&*&* Them :- That's fine sir, you can VT the car no problem. Just send us a letter confirming that you want to go ahead. Me :- That's great, I take it you will send out an inspector and then I will take it to a local auction. Them :- No, not at all. You send us the letter, we cancel your direct debit and then we'll get the car collected and that's it. No inspector. Me :- Great thanks for your help.

And there you go, that's it done.

The cheapest one for sale on autotrader right now is sitting at right on what I owe on the car, so it isn't even remotely in negative equity. But I've had it 2 1/2 years now and want out before it starts to feel even baggier than it already is. Cars always cost money, so to get out at this level makes sense to me. If I want to have the asset at the end I need to pay for it now, so I reckon we're equal in that respect.

No black marks on your credit history, acount must by law be recorded as 'settled'. Anything more and they are operating outside the law. I have a brother who sues financial institutions for a hobby, so he's hoping they try it on so he can get stuck into them.

P.S. More info on this here

The finance industry hates it, but its a fact of life for them.

Next car ?................

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I expect that it's a conversation they've had a lot lately, hence the lack of fight from them.

Reply to
Conor

I reckon you're spot on. The bloke said they had quite a backlog just now and it might take them some time to get the car uplifted, but that the direct debit would be cancelled straight away. To be honest, I'm only getting shot of a couple of grands worth of Golf because it makes sense and my job is pretty much as secure as it gets in the current climate.

On the other hand, I really do feel sure for all of the poor buggers who are finding themselves in difficult circumstances due to the current economic situation.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Thanks. Gone from £2k takehome plus what the wife earns in October to sod all, except the wifes part time stuff. It's at times like this I'm glad I only paid £22,500 for the house and have no other debts.

Reply to
Conor

Well, I'm sure you'll be flexible about getting something else sorted out asap.

Best of luck.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Did it in the past with my S40. Similar conversation, I made the 18th payment of at 36 mth contract and rang them straight away, confirmed by mail, got a letter back asking that I look after the vehicle until it can be collected and two nice men took it away about four days later. Considering I'd run 60k miles onto it in 18 mths it was seriously upside down.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Plenty of jobs in DWP working in jobcenters at the moment...

Reply to
Conor

Heh, I'm tempted to apply myself. There's far too many IT people out of work down here, getting work is seemingly tricky. One agent I spoke to on Thursday said she'd got over 200 CVs for a crap 1st line £9 per hour contract job! I've had a 3rd interview on Tuesday for a job, and two second interviews on Friday. Hope to hear something on Monday, from two of them. The job I really wanted, and went for the 3rd interview on Tuesday with - working for the NHS was canned on Thursday :-(

Reply to
Mike P

You might as well. There's some seriously dumb people going in for the literacy and numeracy tests. One woman posted on a forum asking for information about the tests. Her level of literacy was so bad I told her not to bother going. Then again, the pass marks are stupidly low anyway.

It's opened my eyes and I now understand why I usually end up feeling like I'm talking to an idiot when I'm trying to explain things to these people.

Reply to
Conor