I saw, I SAW a...!

A Merc SLR jammed up on traffic on the M4 just outside London...

And I didn't bring any tissues for the journey!

Andy R

Reply to
Andy

seen 2 of them on the motorway so far one was a few months ago nice yes, but tissues? :)

Reply to
dojj

not the same but my mates dad has a new SL350 which is very nice with it's 3.2 litre! :)

Reply to
Vamp

Tissues can be used for more than one thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

wiping the oil off your dipstick?

Reply to
Vamp

Nice euphemism.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Phhh

You at least want the AMG or 6 litre...

The SL was one of my fave cars, but for a car of that class, the 3.2 is way too wimpy!!

Reply to
Andy

im sure its sufficient tho, mercs arent for racing.

Reply to
Theo

That'll be why Merc pioneered the supercharger then. Not for racing :D.

Reply to
Doki

I'd never buy a Merc as a fast car, they just seem more, sedate :). If i needed a quick luxo barge, Audi RS6, might have a Merc just for pimpin' reasons tho :)

Reply to
Dan405

Drove a CL500 last year. All I can say is forget the Audi - Merc have got it made with the big - fast - /uber/ car...

With the audi you'd get bored of the ride and the fact that it's just an expensive VW (and all your jealous mates will remind of this from time to time) - the Merc is classy, stylish, quick, comfy and loaded with toys.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Dunno, the SL definitely doesn't look that sedate, especially the SL55 AMG. I've never been a huge fan of Mercs, but I do really like the look of the

  1. Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'd agree with your comments about the Audi. A mate had an S8, and it was quite simply the most boring car I've ever been in. Yes it was very big inside but German interior design sucks, the rear bench seat was just a great big slippy slab of bland leather and the front seats though armchair like weren't that great either.

The car simply felt wide, long and sloppy to drive. Maybe OK for long motorway journeys but not much else.

I like some of the big engined Mercs but IMO (and yes I am a tad biased) the übermachine in this class is the XJR. It's better designed, better build, handles better and goes like shit off a shovel. None of the German machines this side of the SLR give the kick-up-the-arse acceleration of an XJR.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hmmm - XJR is great, I will agree (you driven the ally one yet???) and yes, I would choose one over an S class, but then the mid-life-crisis-coming-early in me is encouraging me to (a) drive a bit more carefully to get some no-claims and (b) aim for buying a 2006 SL in about 5 yrs time - the combination of a folding hard top and a BFO supercharged V8 is /far/ too tempting and Jaguar have nothing to match, in fact only an Aston would be British and as appealing. And I live in Hull and park on the street I think an Aston would have to come /after/ leaving the area.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes the dealer I bought the current one from invited me to a test day at Goodwood. I had a go myself and also got a ride as a passenger of a works driver. Impressive the way a vehicle that big can be chucked around. We also did the hill climb which was even more impressive.

[snip]

I work in Hessle from time to time. I feel scared leaving the Ford on the street there.

Reply to
Steve Firth

There isn't a street in Hessle big enough for your Fords is there? It's a lovely place, Hull.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, there's a restaurant there, Lucciano's, I stop at an up-market B&B around the corner. The B&B is on a nasty bend but there's a back street with room for the Ford. But I work at the nastier end of Hessle at the cop-shop, where it feels very dodgy leaving the car on the street all day long.

Hmmmmmm... The problem for me is that there's so much I don't like that the few nice bits pale into insignificance. I find it very hard to get a decent meal, or come that a decent hotel. I've given up on the Post House and the Country Park Hotel.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Medicis is the place to eat (north ferriby, about 5 miles out). Need to book though unless eating early evening but well worth it. Prices itself just high enough to keep the scum from ruining the place but still low by national standards. Failing that there's the mass-produced Frankie and Bennies in Kingswood (about a mile from my house) which is consistent if not spectacular, and ther's Francois' in Willerby which is OK.

Skidby Mill has a wonderful rep but not eaten there as I like to dress casual and it wouldn't work - will do it for an anniversary or something. All the pubs are s**te, Ketch / Toby Carvery opposite Ketch are best two, you'll find me in Home Farm most sunday nights as it's convenient.

If you like Indian then Vujon (sp?) in Anlaby is very very good. China Red in Dunswell for Chinese. Look me up if you're ever in the area and want something nice to eat - always looking for an excuse to eat out - "dinner smells foul dear" normally just get's me slapped (wife is a chef...) and not in an enjoyable way.

Places to stay??? I do B&Bs most of the time (but not in Hull 'cause I live here...) but when getting people to stay we normally go for the Jarvis (watch for the bar tab....) as the Post House that's not a Post House any more is crap, as is the Holiday Inn. Station Hotel is OK but not exactly convenient for Hessle.

If you /ever/ want to send someone you /hate/ to Hull then book them in the Budget Inn (or Budget Lodge) on Bankside, they'll love you for it. In fact the Campanile is a big step up.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Thanks for all the preceding, most useful. I know where to send someone in Hessle if you really hate them, the Hessle Hotel.

I was booked in there, by what I hope was mistake, by a government accomodation agency. It's the place on the roundabout heading westwards from the cop shop (pass the fire station, go straight over the roundabout by Sainsbury's and the next roundabout you come to) it has a red awning over the front and fairy lights all over the place.

It's an utter flea pit.

I walked in, had a look at the room, walked out and went to find my own hotel. That's how I ended up at the Country Park underneath the bridge. Which wasn't bad as hotels go, the room was fine but the bar/restaurant sucked donkey dick. I've been to John Prescott's preferred restaurant the mega-chinese on the industrial estate. The man has no taste.

And I've been to two other chinese, one around the back of the Whaling Musuem which was pretty good and the other was I think on the road to Anlaby and was also good. Don't you feel nervous living so close to Conor?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Doesn't the RS6 chip straight to 600+bhp or summet equally insane tho? Cos that would ROCK :)

Reply to
Dan405