icey car park + BMW 328 with traction control set to off =

... some nice 'crop circle' tyre marks in the car park :) tis ok was first at work today hehe, parked up and watched the renault mechanics lame attempt at a 180 handbrake and a mechanic from vauxhall flow in the car park in his nova and lost it in quite a cool way clipping the skip :)

which is why i place my car behind the big open metal gate to shield my nice BMW from more muppet-ness that no doubt went on when i left my car!

showed be heavy snow tonight :)

Reply to
Vamp

Nice to see you referring to the BM the same way we do. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

I tried to make videos on my phone on the way home tonight. Sliding sideways, operating the handbrake, and the steering wheel whilst making a video on your phone is quite tricky... Especially when there is lamposts and kerbs and stuff to avoid :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Any idiot can do donuts in the snow :P

Now, taking off smoothly and safely, under control, with the TCA off, in the same conditions...

(I personally avoid all that silliness - the Subaru can play (especially with some very nice, controllable drifts), but it's more fun to adopt the "smug grin and drive off like there is nothing wrong" mode when all around are skidding, sliding and spinning).

Best fun I had in snow was getting the back end out in a Dodge Durango

4.7. That's a big truck. As in, twice the interior capacity of a Cherokee big, or "bonnet is level with my shoulder" big.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Godamnit, still no snow :(

I'm making a point of driving the Volvo at the moment though, just because there's the odd bit of ice and a few slippery roundabouts on the way to work :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They ain't that big mate! Had the joy of driving a 5.7 version myself, they are OK, but probably not quite as much fun (IMHO, y'understand) in snow as the cherokee - you can make cherokees spin on thier own axis very easily on snow/ice.

Much fun! Much fun!

If you're talking huge trucks, then any of the 1-tonne US pick ups are big, but perhaps not surprisingly, not too much snow/ice fun to be had in them compared to the smaller more 'agile' (all things are relative...) SUV type things. Nice and safe though, for instance, if you perhaps skid into a tree, just off the top of my head...

Reply to
conkersack

It doesn't make them any worse, though.

Not if you buy an off the shelf system from Steyr-Puch or similar.

Reply to
SteveH

Durango was AWD only - they didn't rent out Hemis, either ;)

But they are big. They're not Hummer big, but they're pretty much in the same class as a Suburban/Yukon. And, FWIW, the Durango was 102.4cu. ft vs. 71 (though, at the time, I saw something which appeared to claim

56). So quite a bit bigger, since we had to carry a lot of stuff, kinda useful ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Not for stopping but AWD definitely helps pull the car around corners.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston