Impreza (sp?) WRX...

...Fairly swift. A suburu empolyee took me out in his for a very quick drive and then gave me the keys, got out and told me to go off an enjoy myself :D Big grins all round. I dont care what people say its a very very impressive machine in terms of handling and acceleration. Bit of turbo lag but once it spins up you go into warp drive and dont look back. And nothing unsettled it round the twisties.

So if anyone saw a blue WRX going down the A12 completely flat out on Sunday, that would have been me :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

which bit of A12?

Reply to
Vamp

I've got a DivX of one of the Clarkson vids about cars, and he is a big fan of the scooby, i like em as well. Sounds a bit like my test drive of the GTi 180, did you find yourself grinning a lot and trying to think of ways to pay for one?

Reply to
Dan405

Wait until you drive a modded one. Chalk and cheese. I am pretty impressed how they handle out of the box but once you play with the suspension to remove the understeer they are scary.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah, I hope you've seen the light now then !

Having a bit of power makes a HUGE difference - even to a boring saloon !

BTW, I hope this was the 260bhp WRX STi - the 210bhp WRX doesn't have "very very impressive acceleration" at all - once rolling, it's no quicker than the TI.

Reply to
Nom

I was only driving for about 30mins so i didnt really get anywhere near undertseer!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

eh?

I never said it didnt! I've always been a fan of big power!!

It was the bog standard WRX unfortunately. Bear in mind the quickest thing i've driven is a 115bhp 309, so your Ti would seem bloody quick too if i drove it. But i bet your Ti doesnt stick to the road like a WRX though. Even though the A12 run was impressive, going round the twisties was much more so. The guy had an STi a few weeks ago and says they are a completely different machine. Although a WRX with the Suburu power-pack is near enough as quick as a (standard) STi, but a lot more comfortable to drive day to day. He says thats what he's gonna have next (new impreza every 6 months!!)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not really, i'd be scared of breaking it! If i had the money spare i would, but IMHO there are still plenty of 10 year old+ cars that are just as fun for far less money!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Shame it was only 30 minutes. I drove a stock one at a car yard and was thoroughly unimpressed. I was wondering what everyone was raving about. When I drove a modded one (which I ended up buying) I understood. Different suspension and a load more horsepower turned the car into an animal. Best handling car I have ever driven after a Lotus Elise. I was suprised that the WRX handling was better than the GTR I owned previously which had major suspension mods as well. It kinda takes the fun out of driving on the road because even if it is pouring buckets it is still really hard to get untidy.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Somewhere south of Stanway (Copford rings a bell) to the Stanway turnoff (for the zoo). Then I took it up past the zoo and back and then down church lane (by the quarry place) and round somewhere else i didnt know.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

bah far to north of me :)

Reply to
Vamp

See if you can find the price and specs of an Alfa 33 P4.

Or an Audi quattro turbo coupe.

No less complicated, not much cheaper to maintain, but a lot cheaper to buy for an average one.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Apologies - I thought you were perfectly content with minimal power machines :)

Ah, righty.

Yep - not even close :)

I can easily keep up with them on a semi-straight road though, as long as there's no standing starts to be done (FWD vs 4x4).

Just out of interest, the only thing I've had real trouble keeping with recently, was a Diesel Golf. It was almost certainly tuned (GOBS of soot coming from the Exhaust) - and whilst I could reel him in from 60mph upwards, he absolutely annihilated me from 30mph-60mph !

Yeah - for *real* performance, they require the power-hike. The boggo ones only get away with it with it cos of the 4x4.

Spawny git !!!!

Reply to
Nom

Hell no!

Indeed

Well hopefully next week a mate will be borrrowing a Golf GT TDI PD150 (or whatever they're bloody called), which should be interesting. Apparently its pretty rapid even though its only standard.

TBH i could see me getting bored of it quickly. More power might make things more interesting, but i've just come back from a drive in the Ovlov, in damp condtions and i've got a huge smile on my face. Thats all i want from a car!

Tell me about it

Reply to
Carl Gibbs