Volvo 360 rear silencer

I dont reckon anyone will know the answer to this, but i'll ask anyway.

The rear silencer on my 360 is a crap design. The inlet and outlet of the silencer are both at the engine end, meaning that the outlet then bends itself back round the silencer and out of the back of the car. Does anyone know if someone makes a more conventional silencer for it? I've done a bit of googling but couldnt find anything.

I'm pretty sure the 1.4/1.7 models dont have this design, but i would assume the exhausts are a smaller diameter than the 2.0. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Carl

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Have a look at all the different systems on there.

Reply to
SteveH

I could stick my head under and have a look. Though mine might not quite be right after my encounter between it and a wall ;).

Reply to
Doki

Just saw it off before the silencer, and graft a cherry bomb on :D

Reply to
Dan405

You havent written off another car?

Mr Haynes shows me that the 340 is of a more conventional design, but it looks smaller (obviously i cant be sure)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Noise level needs to be kept below 98dB though, otherwise i probably would ;)

Looking at that site Steve gave me (thanks BTW, very useful), early 2.0 models had a normal silencer, so i guess that will be my starting point!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Write off a Volvo? On a mere brick wall? Are you joking?

Reply to
Doki

cherry = cash

black and decker into the silencer box = priceless :)

Reply to
Vamp

Dont know what year your 360 is, but a pre 84 360 hatch definately has a straight through design, as do all Saloon versions. Try that.

If you're looking for more power the manifold with the long primary pipes snakeing around the steering rack is the restricting part of the system- although its good for low down torque.

The system bore is quite abit bigger on the 2 litre cars too, so 340 ones will be no use to you.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Pre 84 is what i'm looking at. Do you know if they are the same bore as post 84 cars. And wont the Saloon one be too long?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You never heard of an angle grinder ;)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Aint got one :( And my hacksaw is blunt :( Fortunately i've found a silencer that'll fit, so all is well :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs