Induction kits

Err, a racing car will have its engine rebuilt regularly. Do you want this on your road car?

Do a search on Jim Conforti for a start.

But with exactly the same claims from K&N and their supporters...

If the factory paper filter reduced power by increasing the airflow resistance, simply removing it would give an instant increase in power.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from "Nom" contains these words:

Eh? It's more likely that they have a "sports" image which complements the Aston brand and that they're easier to fit wheras a paper filter would need a filter box designing and tuning and so on.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds like crappy cones - not aftermarket panels!

Reply to
Martin (Please note spammers email address used)

But *exactly* the same arguments are/were used for those...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is, of course, such a *huge* percentage of the cost of developing something like the DB9...

Reply to
Adrian

Panel filter about £35? (+oil kit cost?) Paper £3.50?

Would have worked out the same cost and no time taken messing about cleaning and re-oiling it. + changing it every 6K miles when most are now supposed to last 25K would give consistently better filtration and breathing than a K&N panel.

Peter Hill

Plus the fact that careless oiling can result in failure of the MAF, it's said.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Are you saying that modern Astons use K&N? I doubt it given they're owned by Ford.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave Plowman ( snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*I'm* not, no. I have no idea what they use. I'm merely laughing at the thought that the cost of designing an airbox is a factor.
Reply to
Adrian

indeed it can, mates went at 60k ish, and cost a small fortune...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hotwire?

Seems to me that garages generally replace them when they are merely dirty and a squirt of injector cleaner brings them back to normal readings. If it's just been replaced, when not actually broken, that's not quite the right way to do things IME.

I don't really see how oil on a wire can harm it, and would be interested to know - seems to me it would preserve it instead.

Reply to
Sales!

The message from Sales! contains these words:

Oil on a hotwire MAF acts as an insulator, particularly if it is sticky oil - as indeed the stuff in a K&N filter would be. This reduces the rate at which heat flows out from the wire - which is how the airflow is measured. The computer assumes that the air is warmer than it really is and fuels accordingly.

Reply to
Guy King

Glad youre in sales and not anything to do with mechanics..............you dont seem to have a clue!

Reply to
Brain Damage

Eh ?

Both a K&N Element and a Paper Element fit in exactly the same airbox ! They both require exactly the same "designing and tuning and so on" !

If you're talking about Cones again, then stop. They're a completely different kettle of fish.

Reply to
Nom

What relevence does that have ?

Are you implying that the race engine needs rebuilding because of it's filter ? If so, then LOL.

Huh ?

Cones are COMPLETELY different. For a start, you have to replace the stock airbox etc.

I'm simply talking about Paper Element vs K&N Element, in the stock induction system. In my opinion, the K&N gives better filtering, and allows more air to pass. I had one in my previous Pug 405, and I've got one in my TI right now. If I wasn't 100% convinced that it filtered at least as well as a paper filter, then I wouldn't be using them :)

In theorey, that's correct. Any filter will provide *some* air resistance, so no filter at all will let more air in.

Reply to
Nom

Seconded. The manufacturers seem to be able to afford to design an airbox for every other car. In any case, you're still gonna need exactly the same airbox in the car, whether you fill it with a paper filter, a K&N filter, or a piece of cheese.

Reply to
Nom

So assuming it takes about 2 seconds to clean the wire with a quick squirt of WD40 and a clean rag, I fail to see what the issue is ? Why would you replace the wire, simply cos it was dirty ?

Reply to
Nom

LOL !

Ah it's the old "Hmmm, he's right, and I can't think of a meaningful comeback - so I'll just insult his intelligence instead".

Reply to
Nom

Laugh all you like, but do some research first. Then apologise.

I'm glad you're convinced. I'm not. So wouldn't waste my money.

The theory of damping in a resonant circuit is complex.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Good grief.

Reply to